A Course in Miracles

by semelcred 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• semelcred
    semelcred

Hi All,

I've just started reading A Course in Miracles and wondered if any one here has any thoughts or any contact with this book? As an ex-JW I find it hard to accept reading any other religious publication but I find the idea of the ego's attempt at separation as the real issue against the idea of original sin a fascinating concept.

Also the book was channeled! which sets off alarm bells although I did used to believe that God used the Faithful Slave as his channel so I suppose it's not that different.?

I would appreciate to hear your comments.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

From the ACIM website:

This self-study metaphysical thought system is unique in teaching forgiveness as the road to inner peace
    and the remembrance of the unconditional love of God.

That line about egos or this one about forgiveness could have come out of the Dalai Lama's mouth. Or Jesus' mouth if you read the Gnostic Gospels.

Fundies will tell you ACIM is demonic (along with everything else that doesn't fit into Biblegod's paradigm). What does your intuition tell you about it?

It's great to see you expanding your mind way beyond JW-dom.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I would appreciate to hear your comments.

It's very culty.

And without basis in fact.

• poppers
    poppers

It's too wordy and formulaic for me, although it works for some people. So, if it "speaks" to you go for it, but if you want something simple and basic read Eckhart Tolle's Power of Now. It's not a religious teaching even though fundamentalist Christians say otherwise. They are a pretty paranoid group.

• Bella15
    Bella15

I read some of Eckhart Tolle's books when I was still searching for God ... I found out about him through Oprah

• alias
    alias

ACIM is one book I've read along somewhere in my recovering JW journey (as well as Tolle's Power, hi JT!).

As with anything, take what's useful to you and leave the rest.

We have permission to do that now outside the JW box, and isn't it wonderful? :)

alias

• Robdar
    Robdar

I read ACIM in the late 80's. I found it intriguing and personally relevant at the time. I checked out the website earlier this morning and think I will read it again. Thank you for reminding me of this delightful book.

• Terry
    Terry

Basically, somebody says they heard a "voice" speaking to them!

Okay. What better proof do you need?

It has to okay, right?

This is Mysticism.

Somebody writes down some personal philosophy and hangs the authority on God. In this case: Jesus.

Bart Ehrman would call this Forgery:)

If I start hearing voices somebody rush me to a hospital, please!

Guess who helped out the author? Edgar Cayce's son. Read below.

______________________________________-***************______________________________________________

A Course in Miracles was originally written in a collaborative venture by Schucman and Thetford. In the beginning, the voice (which Schucman claimed to have identified itself earlier to her as Jesus) described them as scribes. [ 2 ]

In 1976, A Course in Miracles was published and distributed as a three-volume set—which had evolved from the original notes—and comprised three books: Text, Workbook for Students, and Manual for Teachers.

During the first 19 years of its circulation, A Course in Miracles was published, printed and distributed directly by the students of the work. In 1995, the printing and distribution of the work was licensed to Penguin Books for five years.

Helen Cohen Schucman

Schucman was a clinical and research psychologist, who held the tenured position of Associate Professor of Medical Psychology at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons at the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York City. During her tenure at Columbia University, Schucman worked with William Thetford, whom she first met in early 1958.

A Course in Miracles (ACIM) was "scribed" by Schucman between 1965 and 1972 through a process of inner dictation. [ 4 ] She experienced the process as one of a distinct and clear dictation from an inner voice, which earlier had identified itself to her as Jesus. [ 5 ] Schucman's scribing of A Course in Miracles began with these words: "This is a course in miracles, please take notes." [ 6 ]

Wouter Hanegraaf distinguishes Shucman's process as a type of channeling that articulates revelation, clarifying that "... in cases of inner dictation in which the medium hears a voice dictating messages, (s)he writes down [these messages] in a fully conscious state." Hanegraaf continues by specifically characterizing Shucman's case as spontaneous channeling, indicating that "...[o]ver the years the voice proved to be remarkably consistent, stopping the dictation when interrupted [by Shucman's daily activities] and continuing at the next opportunity." [ 7 ] Hanegraff also references specific dialogue between Shucman and Thetford citing author Robert Skutch, [ 8 ] among other authors, including Kenneth Wapnick, whom Hanegraaf indicates as a "good" source for complete discussion on this subject.

During this time, Schucman worked in a collaborative venture with William Thetford in scribing A Course In Miracles (ACIM) and also with its initial edits. [ 6 ] The main transcription process took seven years, from 1965 through 1972, during which time she would take down the notes in shorthand, then each day read back these notes to Thetford, who would type them out while she read them. After all the ACIM material had been initially transcribed it was then edited for publication by Schucman and the other two primary editors, Thetford and Kenneth Wapnick.

When Schucman experienced some personal difficulties and hesitance after hearing the voice, Bill Thetford, her work supervisor and friend, contacted Hugh Lynn Cayce (son of the celebrity psychic Edgar Cayce) at his Association for Research and Enlightenment in Virginia Beach, Virginia to seek his advice and counsel. Shucman later met with Cayce before she began to record the Course.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

bttt

• Robdar
    Robdar

Goodness Terry, who cares? Really??? Must everything be sooooooo serious? Why do you care what amuses some of us? Some of us don't need you to tell us what you just told us because WE ALREADY KNOW AND WE DONT CARE. Believe it or not, I have a HUGE salt shaker and know how to think critically. But the truth is sometimes I just want to have a good time and think of things in a way that I haven't thought of them before. Could you leave us alone just for once?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit