Victoria, Australia: FYI-Far reaching ramifications of the criminal indictment of the GB

by AndersonsInfo 67 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Jurisdiction harkens back to feudal times in England. The king was very weak, surrounded by hostile barons. Each lord had his own jurisdiction, the king had jurisdiction over a few items, and the church had massive amounts of jurisdiction. The church's jurisdiction was inviolate. Many cases existed of notorious criminals, pillaging, raping, and murdering many and then riding as fast as all get out to surrounding church property. Only the clergy could claim jurisdiction in these matters. There were few central records to determine whether someone was clergy. "REading the clergy" became notorious. To prove clergy, the potential defendant only had to say the first few lines of particular Psalm, give money to the true clergy, and escape punishment completely. The king could do nothing.

Every thug memorized the few lines. This was so scandalous over time that slowly, people agreed to increasing the king's jurisdiction under the fiction that the king's "peace" had been disturbed by the crimes and that, therefore, he had a greater claim than the church. This is how common law developed and a modern nation-state emerged.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Each of the 7 criminal charges filed in court against the Governing Body are a "valid charge."

Again, does NOT follow. I could be put on trial for murder and found to be innocent of the charge. I still have to answer them even if the prosecution is wrong. Just because a charge carries the force of law and you are compelled to answer it doesn't mean the accused agrees that it is valid or that will be found valid when all is said and done.

Molehills into mountains over blended theolegal meaning of a word.

The conclusion that the WT agrees the charges are "valid" in the sense of being accurate does not follow. You can't blend three definitions of a word to get to the result you want.

• Band on the Run
  • koolaid-man
    koolaid-man

Thankyou Barbara for your work on this matter. We all wish Steven the best.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Thank you Barbara Anderson and Steven Unthank!! Any news? To me a victory would be the WTBTS having to comply with Victoria's child protection law and Steven Unthank being vindicated for standing up to a modern day Goliath.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• sizemik
    sizemik
    its' obvious that you (Barbara) have been doing your homework as well.

Which I believe, not only benefits others . . . but sets a good example.

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Hi Barb, great work as usual!

Its lunchtime here in Melbourne on the 13th, no news from the media outlets here. I have done a fairly thorough search of the court listings both criminal & civil for the Magaistrates court here and come up with no mention of jw's/gb or gb members by name. Unless its being held in one of the Magistrates courts somewhere in the coutryside, nothing of note here in the City.

Just a correction though Barb, we lost our Commisioner of Police a while back due to poolitical reasons, nothing to do with the working with children issue at all. It was a grubby political/media hatchet job that was 2 years in the making.

If there is a court listing/case, rest assured the aptly named Aussie bethel representative br Toole will be in attendance...

Cheers, Matt.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    If there is a court listing/case, rest assured the aptly named Aussie bethel representative br Toole will be in attendance...

LOL!!

Hi there Matt!!

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

This is all interesting and thanks for Barb, other legal Minds that helped in clarifying this matter for us.

I didn quite follow all the charges, but the protection of children and the shunning issue are really important matters to address and hopefully resolve.

I don't hold much hope though. Remember the France legal issues against the WT. Now the ORG is claiming a legal victory over that one.

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Hi BP!

Ok, have found the listing for the Magistrates court for today: Unknown V Christian Cong of JW's.

https://dailylists.magistratesvic.com.au/browse-court-lists/court-itinery-list.aspx?id=97&type=Criminal&date=13/09/2011

Its out at the Latrobe Magistrates Court in Gippsland, not here in old Melb town. By the look of it, was scheduled for 9:30am this morning (3 hours ago) and the JW's were either a no show or not represented by any Toole's......

Cheers, Matt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit