How could I have believed it all? - response

by Lady Lee 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The "blame the victim" thinking that ex-members experience is common among all victims of trauma. In fact we live in a society that is filled with this mentality. And we were a part of an organization that reinforced this thinking every time they blamed the rank and file for the Borg's mistakes.
    The effective use of mind control techniques is not dependent on a person intelligence. And I know you know that. The techniques are very effective. That is why they use them and keep refining them.

I was just looking at some of the study material they have on their website. Wow it sure is condensed from the days of the "Truth" book. An individual is immediately programmed to stop thinking. Read the paragraph and find the answer and read it. There is no real opportunity for discussion - just quote it back. Go to a meeting and it is the same thing. No thinking required. And that is exactly the point. No thinking required. Just recite what you are told. Which is one of the main reasons that JWs cannot provide answers when asked to explain their beliefs. They all recite the same answers - almost word for word. Again - no thinking required.

A second point is that we live in a society where we are bombarded with information. As a result I think many of us experience information overload. We sit in front of our TVs and zone out. Information flows through and past us. Some information we retain but most gets lost in the massive amount of information directed at us.

One day someone comes along and in a careful, methodical, and even simplistic way presents some more information. It may be that the presentation alone is enough to make us more susceptible to the message and the mind control technique used on us - personal and simplistic. We may be at a vulnerable point in our lives. We may be searching for something better or different. We may be simply not paying attention or questioning the validity of what we are being told. We may also innocently believe it when we are told that those answers will be explained later.

Remember one of the mind control techniques is information control. And the Borg is a master at using all forms of information control to both get their members and maintain the ones they have.

The wonderful thing about the net is that unlike TV or other forms of media that bombard us daily a person can stop the action and really take in the information that interests them. If it doesn't interest them, they just need to click a button. Unlike TV the Internet is not passive. It is interactive. And unlike the Borg method of indoctrination there is no person around to interrupt or control a person's thought processes while taking in the information.

I believe the methods used by the Borg to indoctrinate new converts are much more powerful than most people realize.

But I also believe that the Internet just might be the beginnings of their demise - at least in countries where the Internet is readily accessible. The Borg’s ability to control access to information when people can get it in their homes when no one is looking will have to weaken.

Ultimately we, the victims, are not to blame for being victims.

One more thought here is that it is normal for people to want to blame someone when something bad happens. The ability for many of us to point the finger at the Borg and say it was your fault is limited to forums such as this or discussion with others who understand - mostly because they have "been there"

It is also normal for victims to want some kind of accounting, explanation or even apology. Well, in this case we know that is not going to happen. So in the absence of the Borg taking responsibility for their actions and the harm they have caused us, many if us will turn the finger and point it at ourselves. After all, someone must take responsibility and when they don't we do - live good victims.

But we did nothing wrong.

And we are not responsible for being victims of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society AKA Borg

------------------------------------------
    Rejoice in the healing and not in the pain.
    Rejoice in the challenge overcome and not in the past hurts.
    Rejoice in the present - full of love and joy.
    Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• waiting
    waiting

Well, if you wrote this yourself, I just have to say: "Good lord, woman, you actually DO have an education background like your website says!"

The wonderful thing about the net is that unlike TV or other forms of media that bombard us daily a person can stop the action and really take in the information that interests them. If it doesn't interest them, they just need to click a button. Unlike TV the Internet is not passive. It is interactive. And unlike the Borg method of indoctrination there is no person around to interrupt or control a person's thought processes while taking in the information. Lady Lee
    That's such a good point! (I sound like a jw, don't I?) We can stop, take a breather, come back - correspond (or argue), read, question - and keep looking if we want.

#1 - I believe the methods used by the Borg to indoctrinate new converts are much more powerful than most people realize.

#2 - But I also believe that the Internet just might be the beginnings of their demise -Lady Lee

#1 and #2 - Me too.

waiting

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

waiting - you just cracked me up ---- and wow you are fast - truth is I just wrote that up but think I will expand on it and add it to the website.

And yes the credentials are for real - check out http://www.kohlproductions.com/walkingwounded/interview.htm

Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Lee,

Why, thank you! I do enjoy your posts - wish you would post more. There's a peacefullness (naturally or disciplined) within your postings that I enjoy.

Very insightful (another jw phrase). And if I made you smile - good! A rare undertaking in these neck of the woods sometimes.

waiting

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thank you very much waiting. hmmm peacefulness - yes I think that has always been a part of who I am - certainly not something I was trained to do. Think I have always believed that a kind and loving attitude is far more appealing to those you want to help than trying to induce fear through angry words.

I work long hours so come in when I can and when I have something to say I usually do. There are a lot of insightful posters in here and I do read even if I do not always comment.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Lady Lee,

I liked your post.

Quote:“We may be at a vulnerable point in our lives. We may be searching for something better or different. We may be simply not paying attention or questioning the validity of what we are being told. We may also innocently believe it when we are told that those answers will be explained later.”

You remind me of “True Believer” by Eric Hoffer. Recently finished it and highly recommend it.

Quote: “Remember one of the mind control techniques is information control. And the Borg is a master at using all forms of information control to both get their members and maintain the ones they have.”

This is the hard nut to crack. While the internet is available, a loyal JW will not look until they are once again “searching for something better” as you mention above. This will not happen until they reach a point of frustration or discontent that erodes their loyalty.

It appears that simply having information available has had its affect in the US and Europe. But I suspect the level of intellectual frustrations is also high in these lands. Which comes first? Personally I was discontent for decades, but the internet gave me the opportunity to discreetly indulge my disloyal curiosity.
    Good of you to emphasize that we are the victims and we did nothing wrong. Thanks for the thoughts.

Jst2laws

• AlanF
    AlanF

Excellent points, Lady Lee! I've been convinced for more than eight years that the free flow of information on the Internet will be the Society's demise.

I remember attending a one-day assembly in the autumn of 1993, where the Bethel speaker George Couch lamented that so many young JW men failed to stay with "the Truth". He said that in some New York City congregations not far from Bethel, not a single young man in 20 years has remained a JW. The situation with young women was not a lot better. I thought to myself, "Well it's no wonder! The amount of information available to young people today is so much greater than it was a few years ago. The Internet is only accelerating the flow of information. People are born with internal bullshit detectors that usually don't become set to ignore bullshit until they're well into their teens, and so if young JWs have good access to the Net, their bullshit detectors won't get turned off by the Society, but will remain active." So far my thoughts have been on the money.

AlanF

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Jst2laws

No the loyal ones will not look. On the other hand we have the privelege of having a few of them in here with us who porfess to be loyal to the borg (while ignoring its "suggestions" to avoid places like this). Even if they don't pay attention to what they read here they are bound at some time to let the cat out of the bag - you just know they will have to share what they are doing with somebody - and maybe - just maybe - they will be telling the exact person who is ready to know

AlanF

I like that - bullshit detectors - think you are right on the money with that one - mine is fine tuned now :)

• JAVA
    JAVA
    But I also believe that the Internet just might be the beginnings of their demise - at least in countries where the Internet is readily accessible. The Borg’s ability to control access to information when people can get it in their homes when no one is looking will have to weaken.

Good post, Lee; you brought up many interesting points. I'm certain the Internet hurts the Tower, because information is easily accessed. The Internet also goes beyond information gathering and into cyber communities with common interest. Former Witnesses no longer feel isolated. The Tower uses shunning to isolated and shame members stepping out of line. The Internet turned the tables as former JWs find a "Great Crowd" by clicking on-line. I don't know if the Web will bring the Tower down because some seek simple black and white answers for everything. However, the Tower is weaker today because of the Internet, and folks like You Know and Fred Hall have no excuse for ignorance (except for their willful ignorance) thanks to the Internet. It's a powerful tool.

• Bang
    Bang

" but the woman You gave me "

It's normal to hear about "what happened to me", but I rarely if ever hear about the act of indoctrinating others, and particularly when it was done after knowing that things were amiss.

There's a difference between not really deserving any punishment and not having done anything at all wrong - in fact those who examine their response-ability naturally attract less punishment, and those who emphatically deny having response-ability attract condemnation.

With so much external input, it can be harder to be humble (i.e. the down to earth view) and accept what really is true.

Bang

As for the internet, bring on the knowledge and free these people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit