Is Hard Work Hard on You?

by compound complex 16 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good Morning, Friends:

Wishing you all well today.

Many of us gave up college and a possible career in the field of our dreams. I have no regrets turning my inordinate childhood obsession with cleanliness into interior and exterior maintenance: janitorial and gardening. After 50 years in the trade, which I really do love, I honestly have to say I cannot do it much longer. I am in such pain after a few hours work house cleaning that it takes me longer and longer to recover. By "recover" I mean just being able to move.

If you're dealing with the same, how do you cope?

Thanks.

CoCo

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'm sorry you have come to that point. I had to change my work after 28 years in the same profession. I just couldn't do it physically any more. So I have some little gigs here and there that pay the bills without my standing on my feet 8 hours a day. Social Security here I come!

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Hi, I suffer with panic, anxiety, and agoraphobia. Im often exhausted because of adrenaline, even if I dont do much. Vertigo is the worst symptom of this illness..........I do a little light cleaning everyday, take regular breaks, and am learning not to be so worried about having a perfect house. Getting the major stuff done (washing up, dinner, and a load of washing in the machine) is my priority every day.......anything else is a bonus!

"Dust, if you must.......

but wouldnt it be better.....

to paint a picture, or write a letter....."

Paula x

• cantleave
    cantleave

I had to give up working in laboratories due to an increasing sensitivity to solvents. I went into sales - I don't have much imagination.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

I understand what you mean C.C.. I have been in construction trade for 40 years now and even though I love what I do it hard on the aging body. The biggest problem I have is in the morning after I wake up. When I get up and wake around the house doing my normal routine my legs start cramping up and I have to sit down for about 10 mins. to relieve the pain. After that it seems to be OK. Also around 2 in the afternoon my energy level goes down to zero. I guess this all comes with age. But it sure gets in the way of getting things done for me. I guess that is why my wife and I are starting a donut store. It's long hours but not as hard on the body. Take Care. Totally ADD

• compound complex
    compound complex

I appreciate your replies, Hortensia, Pams girl, cantleave and TotallyADD:

I guess we're all in the same boat.

Yes, Hortensia, SS benefits! I took mine early and would be sunk w/o them. Hope all's well otherwise.

Anxiety can sure play a part, too, Pams, in depleting us. I do both the art and the writing, but the former brings in only a little cash and the latter none yet.

Hope sales are going well, cant. Sometimes too much imagination gets us into trouble!

Sorry about your extreme condition, Totally. Loving the work we do at least makes our getting through it manageable ... but for how much longer? Till we drop! Good luck with the donuts. I'm sure you'll have lots of mid-morning business from JWs counting their time at your tables!

Thanks again, ladies and gentlemen.

Off to cut some grass and repair a sprinkler system.

CoCo Trudges

• sizemik
    sizemik

Hi CoCo . . .

I've spent most of my working life in self-employment too. Started off a window-washer (surprised?), also doing residential and a small amount of commercial cleaning. Eventually moved into low-pressure / chemical industrial cleaning employing 16, and finally, 10 years doing carpet cleaning on my own. That was about five years ago before tendonitis and other deteriorations sent me into retail sales (ho-hum).

Now I find 8 hours on a hard floor challenging so I'm studying at Uni again for some additional quals that will get me into an air-conditioned room with a hand-picked chair LOL. My wife is already in Admin doing just that. Working on the writing too . . . something I can do lying down.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Sizemik, for sharing with us your work duties over the years.

Quite a resume! We sure know about sales, don't we? It is arguable that we were well trained. Wishing the both of us eventual success in the endeavor of writing. Kathryn Stockett, who wrote The Help, received 60 rejections before acceptance. Same with Alex Haley and many other writers.

Stay with it!

CoCo

• sizemik
    sizemik

Indeed CoCo . . . I think we've learned what tenacity in the face of rejection means too. The good thing about writing is the personal pleasure it brings in the doing anyway . . . if it brings rewards of another kind eventually, well that will suit me just fine. My 85 year old Mother is one of my greatest supporters bless her.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

It's strange isn't it we were taught that one day all pain would disappear and we would be young and everything wonderful and exciting. Surprise surprise now life is just a pain event. I have pain everyday as well and have tried all the fish oils and vitamins and its still there. I wish it was different for all of and if I knew the answer or had a secret formula I'd pass it on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit