Common Misconceptions Re: Evolution

by cantleave 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave

Psac - I don't know if this can be seen by you guys in the States. It will answer your questions re: Why does DNA replicate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pv1c3/The_Secret_Life_of_Chaos/

• james_woods
    james_woods
    So, what does drive our DNA to self-replicate and to do it in "variations" ( I don't agree with "imperfect")?

Combinatorial "accidents" in reproduction would be one thing - another source of variation is thought to be certain viruses.

(Besides the obvious mutations from chemical or radiation sources)

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

Psac

"As a beleiver I see God as the "first cause" of everything, but I don't go as far as to say that God drives natural selection but more that God created the universe (and all in it) with the ability to adapt and grow and evolve."

I can respect that. Any God that can come up with the dual process of genetic mutation, and natural selection, is a God who has some wisdom indeed. Whether he would have, rather than simply create outright is of course another question. It would seem to be a little cruel to allow around 98% of species to go extinct, in order to allow man to evolve.

But you're right. Life, and the processes it uses, are amazing. Awe-inspiring.

Great topic, Can'tleave.

PP

• unshackled
    unshackled

As a beleiver I see God as the "first cause" of everything, but I don't go as far as to say that God drives natural selection but more that God created the universe (and all in it) with the ability to adapt and grow and evolve.

Just curious PSac...okay let's say God seeded life on this planet and pressed the "Go" button...do you think/feel God "interfered" with life again after the evolution process started? Meaning at some point did God "aid" the advancement of humans, either exclusively or more than any other species? (And agreed this isn't a "believer vs non-believer" thing, just am interested in your thoughts on that...)

• cantleave
  • zoiks
    zoiks

Bookmarked - I'm gonna have to bow out for a while to get some work done, guys!

I like your questions, PSac, and I wish that I was even remotely qualified to more fully address them.

Shack - the clan is good, school is back in session and my future as the father of a soccer star would be well on its way if I lived in just about any other country on earth.

Cantleave - good thread!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Just curious PSac...okay let's say God seeded life on this planet and pressed the "Go" button...do you think/feel God "interfered" with life again after the evolution process started? Meaning at some point did God "aid" the advancement of humans, either exclusively or more than any other species? (And agreed this isn't a "believer vs non-believer" thing, just am interested in your thoughts on that...)

No, I don't think he did.

I think that we humans are the first species on this planet to evolve to the point of "knowing God" and that was when God said, "hello" to Us.

Since then God has indeed take an "active" role in Our lives, active in a way of us getting to know Him that is,not of actively interferring in our free will and the processes that were in place LONG BEFORE we came along.

That video on wht DNA relicates almost seems to imply some sort of "design" ;)

On a serious note, I think that is probably THE issue, whether ALL THIS is by pure chance or whether there is some "design" to it.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Design is used very loosely

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I can respect that. Any God that can come up with the dual process of genetic mutation, and natural selection, is a God who has some wisdom indeed. Whether he would have, rather than simply create outright is of course another question. It would seem to be a little cruel to allow around 98% of species to go extinct, in order to allow man to evolve.

Cruel? well...one would agrue that evolution is neither cruel or kind, it just is, but I see your point.

Extinction is a serious issue of course BUT if we take the view of a Creator that creates and allows it's creation to live and grow and evolves based on the laws of the universe that He created, we have to accept that extinction is part of that process.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I like your questions, PSac, and I wish that I was even remotely qualified to more fully address them.

You are doing great my friend :)

Don't sell yourself short.

Design is used very loosely

Perhaps it was there from the beginning, but served the purpose of only starting the whole process but is NOT the process in of itself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit