Common Misconceptions Re: Evolution

by cantleave 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• unshackled
    unshackled

So, the environment drives the proces we call natural selection to cause our DNA, that is equipped with the tools to, cause an evolution in a species to better adapt to those demands imposed by the environment?

If I'm not mistaken it doesn't work that way....or perhaps I misunderstand what you're saying PSac. Random mutations occur, and a species genetic traits that are best suited to survive and proliferate will be the most likely to get passed. Though natural selection doesn't have foresight, or cause itself.

An interesting development...elephants over the past 150 years have shown a rapid change by evolving smaller tusks due to poachers. Cool!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/3322455/Why-elephants-are-not-so-long-in-the-tusk.html

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    So, PSac, whatcha getting at?

I am a beleiver, so you know where I am going with this, LOL !

I don't do the "God of the gaps" argument, so I won't fo there because it really isn't about God or no god for me, it's about how truly amazing Life is, breathtaking really.

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

Psac,

Again, forgive me, but of course "natural selection drives itself" is a little....well, it doesn't make sense.

"Natural selection" is a label. It is given by evolutionary scientists to a process, a process that has two major factors. "Selective pressures" vs the "organism capacity to respond".

"Selective pressures" come primarily from the environment. Climatic change, resource change, predator-prey ratio, disease and so forth, put pressure on the organisms.

The organisms have a "capacity to respond" to these pressures. Their capacity to respond is informed by such things as physiological factors, genetic behaviours (controverisal, I admit), immune system responses and so on.

So we have "selective pressures" vs "capacity to respond". This process is known as "natural selection". It is "natural".

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you trying to say that God has some part in natural selection?!

of course, natural selection does not CAUSE genetic mutation. Genetic replication has mutations within it, sometimes. It might be beneficial, it might not. That's the "random" part of evolution. But those organisms with traits more suited to the "selective pressures" have a greater change of survival. In that case, the genetic mutation gets passed onto the offsrping, and is preserved.

The common ancestor is shown by genetic studies. We see that we diverged from chimpanzees. We then have a series of fossils that lead to homo sapiens. Granted, we have never found the "common ancestor". But so what? What's your point?

PP

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

So, what does drive our DNA to self-replicate and to do it in "variations" ( I don't agree with "imperfect")?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I don't believe that the environment causes our DNA to do anything.

It can if you include ionizing radiation as part of "the environment" - which it obviously is.

• cantleave
    cantleave

James, you seem to be implying that the environment dictates which species will survive, yes?

Species do not really adapt to a particular environment, they simply have the ability to survive because of genetic characteristics which gives them an advantage when trying to live in said environment. The same characteristic may in another environment be a disadvantage. For example being bright green in a rainforest is advantageous as the organism blends in. Being bright green in a dessert makes an organism an easy target.

• unshackled
    unshackled

How ya doin', Shacks?

All good zoiks...really busy lately. Trying to cut down on JWN, but here you guys are talking science and can't resist. All well with you and the clan?

It is amazing how life works, isn't?

Agreed PSac...amazing how we're all 'star stuff'.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you trying to say that God has some part in natural selection?!

As a beleiver I see God as the "first cause" of everything, but I don't go as far as to say that God drives natural selection but more that God created the universe (and all in it) with the ability to adapt and grow and evolve.

I mean, if you were gonna create something, wouldn't you give it what it needs to survive as best it can?

But I don't wann turn this into a "beliver VS non-believer" thing since I agree with evolution.

I too am trying to clear up MY misconceptions on evolution.

• cantleave
    cantleave

DNA is a chemical, it does what it does because of its structure.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    DNA is a chemical, it does what it does because of its structure.

Why?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit