The Hubble, Yahweh, the Bible, and faith.

by Nickolas 269 Replies latest jw friends

• Awen
    Awen

do you even understand what independent trials mean, or did you just deside it was okay for you to ignore it?

Looks like you did the same thing with my numbers I got from a scientific source. Also I wasn't clear about my personal beliefs. I believe life was created by God, then using evolution God allowed for the mutation that has occurred in the animal and plant kingdoms.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2009/09/17/2689221.htm

For me the Independent Trials theory has no basis as it cannot be tested as to whether it's true or false in the case of creation of life (although it can be tested in other areas). This being mainly because thus far scientists have been unable to create life on their own. So they have no evidence to use as a control to test this theory other than the life that already exists. Sure they can cause mutations but not create life from the 7 basic amino acids that all life has in common. Granted there are many geographical places where life could have emerged, but the leading theory is that life originated in the oceans. That being said it seems likely the temperature and salinity would have remained somewhat constant (that is to say lacking variation, thus throwing the Independent Trial theory out the window). Research into the age of the Earth and what is was like seem to back this idea up.

http://www.historyoftheuniverse.com/archaebact.html

On a side note.

You bohm seem to be quite rude to people who have a differing opinion from yourself. Nickolas on the other hand is quite polite and respectful of other people's opinions. That makes for an easier discourse in my opinion. Your attitude towards persons on this forums reminds me of a certain publishing company that we are all familiar with.

• jay88
    jay88

That we DO ask and that we do WANT to know, that we DO feel "complete" when we find our "WHY" or "HOW", is evidence that we are not just "any old animal", at least it is to me, your milage my vary of course :)

Every species have their particular speciality, cheetahs can run up to 70mph, elephants posses an amazing memory and are shown to grieve like humans(to grieve may imply the WHY/HOW)

I could go on a tangent in many directions with this statement above.

I personally feel that dolphins would rival human civilization, if they had the same physical attributes of humans.

jay,

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Every species have their particular speciality, cheetahs can run up to 70mph, elephants posses an amazing memory and are shown to grieve like humans(to grieve may imply the WHY/HOW)

Physicality of the species has nothing to do what I was referring to, nor the ability to grieve.

I was going beyond that.

I could go on a tangent in many directions with this statement above.
    I personally feel that dolphins would rival human civilization, if they had the same physical attributes of humans.

Well, they are already gang rapists so you may have something there. ;)

• jay88
    jay88

Your ability to go beyond is a by-product your physicality, What you call "beyond" would be everyday living for some animals, to communicate at wavelengths that you can not hear would be beyond for you. Having different capabilites, does not make us special.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Your ability to go beyond is a by-product your physicality, What you call "beyond" would be everyday living for some animals, to communicate at wavelengths that you can not hear would be beyond for you. Having different capabilites, does not make us special.

Do those animals ask themselves WHY?

• jay88
    jay88

What does the "WHY" imply?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Going beyond mere acceptence of simply existing.

• jay88
    jay88

Going beyond mere acceptence of simply existing.

How do we know if that is the case? Also, there is no such thing as simply existing. Even if it may seem unintelligible from our perspective.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    How do we know if that is the case?

Hence the need to know, something that no other animal species seems to show "interest" in.

At least not that we cna tell.

You don't find chimps pondering the afterlife or if there is an absolute objective morality, nor do you find dolphins gazing into the heavens and needing to know, "where did we come from"?

• Twitch
    Twitch
    discounting the God of the Bible and his Son but saying that God came from the universe and is the universe itself.

If this is in line with the Spinoza's concept of god, it's more plausible to me than the idea of a "social worker" god, concerned with with the day to day lives of sentient simian bipods such as ourselves. This would explain the impartiality of life and death that occurs everyday since time began, among other things.

But why limit the argument to the hebrew god? There have been many gods throughout the ages and even today the concept is as diverse as the people who believe it, which to me says something about the concept; that it's a human one. If god is absolute, why is our concept and understanding not absolute? If our understanding was primitive as we were and now we know more, does that not define the concept more as a human projection and reflective of ourselves?

Yahweh (or whatever you want to call it) is as real as Allah, Buddha or any other name and to me, is all the same thing. An absolute and universal entity should be just that, but isn't. I never understood why people have to personalize their version and rationalize it's interest in them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit