"Do not go beyond the things written"

by hotspur 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hotspur
    hotspur

How many times did you hear that? It wasn't until I read with disbelief No Room for George's pitiful statement about being proud to be a JW did I start to think of a simple of way of discrediting the JWs... it needed a simple scriptural phrase that causes them to shoot their own foot!

So - how many different ways can you think of where JWs have "gone beyond the things written"?

I'll give you a starter .....

Beards... where is it witten you can't have a beard? (Ladies are precluded)

• hotspur
    hotspur

What? Three hours and nuffin'?

There must be something!

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

Off to work but will give you a few.

Jesus is not the Mediator for the Great Crowd.

Great Crowd not in the New Covenant

Jesus created all other things

Only annointed partake at Memorial

Only annointed have heavenly hope

I sense that NT is not written for Great Crowd and I don't see how they benefit from death of Christ. Unlike annointed,they are not saved by grace but have to work out their salvation. I could be wrong but that is what I sense.

• munchausen
    munchausen

How about their translation of that verse in the NW, which in itself goes beyond what is written:

1 Cor 4:6 "... that in our case you may learn the [rule]: 'Do not go beyond the things that are written,'..." NW

Their use of brackets shows a word inserted which is not in the original. The NW is almost unique in calling this a 'rule', most translations use words like

'saying' NIV

'maxim' Jerusalem Bible

'saying' TEV

The New English uses the word 'rules' but qualifies it "keep within the rules, as they say"

Other translations , even the King James, re-worded it entirely but still did not use the word 'rule'

• cantleave
    cantleave

Too many to mention. I was criticised in the 80's for having long hair and then a perm, in the 90's for having a step in my hair and in noughties for a crew cut as I was going bald.

I remember being told I shouldn't wear a trilby at a convention.

A circuit overseer cristised the size of our flat screen TV (the joke being it was only a 37 inch - a tiddler these days).

The same CO cristised me for wearing a pink shirt (obviously too gay).

I remember an MS being criticised in an elders meeting because he wore mocasin type shoes. It was one of the reasons he was deleted.

Memories Memories!!!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Taking blood fractions but not whole blood.

I can probably think of a bunch more but my mind doesn't work as well in the morning.

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

They are crazy!

Read this from the Watchtower 2008, April 15th, page 7:

When it comes to valueless words, elders too learn an important lesson. Whenever they are called upon to give counsel, they bear in mind their limitations and do not presume to offer counsel solely from their own personal store of knowledge. They should always point to what the Bible says. A sound rule is found in the words of the apostle Paul: “Do not go beyond the things that are written.” (1 Cor. 4:6) Elders do not go beyond the things that are written in the Bible. And by extension, they do not go beyond the Bible-based counsel written in the publications of the faithful and discreet slave.

I laughed when i read this! DO NOT GO BEYOND the bible... then in the very next paragraph they are saying, IN EXTENSION listen to the WS publications! Isnt the word extension a synonym for going beyond??? How very odd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont go beyond the bible, but you can listen to the things we have written beyond the bible!!! Its very contradictory and makes no sense!

Anyway, this means that all the bible based counsel from the Watchtower has gone beyond the things written.

Timmy xxx

• cantleave
    cantleave

Timothy - good catch!!!

• N.drew
    N.drew

There is no scriptural reason for their teaching that Lot's wife

looked behind for her longing for the material comfort she enjoyed there.

Also, there is no scriptural evidence that the women of Genesis 6:4

were proud to be taken by the rebel son's of God.

Was nobody else abashed by that drama at convention?

And I already showed 1 Corinthians 15:33 does not give any proof it is

for people that it is warning.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

"Do not go beyond the things written"

This publishing house threw that commandant out from the get go, at its earliest inception.

Their falsely acquired specific dates such as 1914, 1925 , 1975 just to name a few.

This is men playing with power and money who cant help being corrupt as they are instilled with a motivational desire

to sustain themselves and their acquired positions within the organization itself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit