As we all know well, Jehovah's Witnesses taught from the mid '60s that the world would end until 1975. As we all know it is also now 2011. Nuff said.
But 1975 had a lot of big things happen....
Wheel of Fortune first went on the air.
Major Watergate figures were convicted and went to jail.
The Pittsburgh Steelers won their first Super Bowl
Charlie Chaplin is knighted by Elizabeth II
Bill Gates founded Microsoft. (that DID change the world eventually)
Saturday Night Live first goes on the air
I got all of the above from Wikipedia. I thought the final entries of that article would be interesting, so I have copied and pasted it for your viewing pleasure. (as it turn out, 1975 was sort of a boring year... it was however the first full year I spent on this earth! Glad I don't remember this boring shit.... ;p )
- The government of Colombia announces the finding of Ciudad Perdida.
- The Spanish army quits Spanish (Western) Sahara, the last remnant of Spain's Empire. The Sahrawi Republic (RASD) is created. Moroccoinvades ex-Spanish Western Sahara.
- The term fractal is first used.
- Lyme disease first recognised at Lyme, Connecticut.
- Victoria (Australia) abolishes capital punishment.
- South Australia becomes the first Australian state to decriminalize homosexual acts between consenting adults.
- Some members of Jehovah's Witnesses, based on the group's chronology, [ 3 ] believe that Armageddon will happen in 1975 and a few of them sell their houses and businesses to prepare for the new world paradise which they believe will exist when Jesus sets up God's Kingdom on earth.
- Peter Gabriel departs Genesis, and is replaced on lead vocals by drummer Phil Collins.
- In addition, but unrelated, the first Monster Truck Bigfoot was created by Bob Chandler