Another step in healing from the days as a JW

by FlyingHighNow 22 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I am bringing this over from the "Still no pants suits, for sisters" thread.

It's funny how I don't think much about healing from the JW's anymore. I was not raised a JW. I was only active for around 10 years. I have been not a JW much longer than I was a JW. But unexpectedly, I still find myself getting moments of healing. Here is an example of what I am talking about in my comment from that thread. This thread is about your, our, steps in healing. Share what you want. My experience follows:

On Sundays, where I work, you can spot every JW family that comes in. They are all dressed in second hand store, clearance rack and home made dress clothes. The poor little boys are in the most awful rag taggle ties and poorly fitted suit coats. They all walk with the air of superiority. You can almost see the "forcefield" around them as they try not to rub shoulders too closely with the rest of us, Satan's children. I cringe.
    During the week there is this couple who come in. I have talked to them before, asking them if they are JW's. I usually feel sick to my stomach when I see them, but I was able to talk them into buying a bottle of Focus Factore recently, telling them it would help them concentrate at the meetings and conventions. That is when I softened towards them because they dropped their air of superiority and just for a few moments related to me as fellow human beings. It was a sort of moment of epiphany for me. It was a step in healing. I saw the humanity in this couple and really all of the JW's. And I am grateful to this couple for helping to evaporate a bit more of the bitter taste I have been left with, since I drifted away in 91.
    Because I had this experience with this couple, when a priest friend of mine asked for me help lately, I was able to give a kinder response. I think I'll make a thread about it. He and his family are Episcopalians. His daughter is the music and chorus teacher at the local middle school. She called him and said, "Oh no, one of my students is a JW. I am worried this girl will not be allowed to sing in the Christmas concerts. What should I do for her, so she can participate more fully?" So he called me and said, "I have a JW related question." He told me the situation. I said, "Well, it depends on the parents and their level of devotion as to what they will allow their child to do. I suggest she arrange to speak with the parents to tell them of her concern. She can ask them what they will allow. Your daughter could consider calling the concerts Winter Concerts and choosing holiday songs that are generic like Jingle bells or sing Greensleeves instead of What Child is This? for the Christmas songs. The parents will probably appreciate Emily's concern, respect and caring for their daughter."
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I told my priest friend, being a JW is awful for children. All the kindness they can get from teachers is very good for them. I told him how I tried hard to make sure my children had fun things to make up for the things they gave up, but still their lives were deeply affected by the JW lifestyle, even though I stopped going when my son was in 2nd grade or so and my daughter in 6th or 7th. It's been so long, I don't recall what grades.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I have to say that I feel much lighter in spirit. My sister's bitter shunning of her sons helped cause the death of one of them last September. Now the other son has DA'd. They have a third brother who never was a JW as an adult. My sister left me feeling pretty hurt and angry over her treatment of all family who aren't jws. Now, I am not feeling so angry. I am feeling empathy for all JW's, except for the powers that be. I don't know when I will ever feel any empathy for them. Maybe I'll surprise myself someday. Someday.....

• flipper
    flipper

FHN- I know how difficult it is to bear up under the boorish behavior of our adult JW siblings. I have 3 older JW siblings who rarely if ever have called me on the phone just to say " Hi " even in all the years I was a Witness. Although the behavior wasn't as drastic as your sister's shunning causing her son's death , which is beyond sad, still I can count on two fingers to count all the phone calls I received from my JW siblings over the years. I called them much more often.

Many times this had led me to the epiphany that I have much kinder and unconditional friendships on this board as well as outside the JW religion. It's been very healing to feed those newer relationships than force friendship onto my siblings- who don't desire my friendship anyway ! I look at it as THEM missing out, not me. That helps me to stay positive. I'm glad you are feeling more positive these days also. Hang in there kiddo

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thank you, Flipper. I am glad you are feeling more positive, too. For me, I think this is the first time since I've left that I don't feel pure resentment when I see a JW. I wonder if I will now stop shooting a low flying bird at every KH I pass while driving my car.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

FHN, I was recently sort of shunned. My wife was at an open-to-all dance lesson. I got there early to pick her up and went to watch the lesson. Everyone was on a break and these 4 young 20-ish people were hanging around my wife, 2 guys, 2 girls. My wife introduced me: "This is my husband, [first name]." All four were right there in arms length. The first guy has this big old grin and pumps my arm. "I'm Alvin, do you go to XYZ Congregation also?"

Not having spoken at all, I finally said a single word: "No." It wasn't in a sarcastic tone or anything. Just a regular "No."

Alvin turned to his friends and none of them introduced themselves and not a single word more was spoken to me.

Rather than tell these guys to piss off or take it personally, I have reached the point where I just laugh and think "That frigging cult. What a shame."

I think that qualified as a moment of healing. Strength to you.

• blondie
    blondie

Off the topic, OTWO, were these 2 young married couples? So unmarried jws can go to a "worldly" place now for dance lessons and rub elbows with non-jws?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Okay, Mrs. Off-topic. I didn't meet them beyond that. I decided to let their aweful behaviour rest for my wife to think about, so I asked nothing.

I doubt they were married couples, it may have been a sneaky way to "date" in a group setting. Since I don't follow WTS rules, I don't care if people are bending or breaking them.

I get what you are saying. The dance is innocent enough and my wife loves dance lessons of various kinds. It never concerned me (nor her, I suppose) that there were a bunch of "worldly" people there. She wouldn't go to pole dancing lessons. (They do have them at the adult learning center.)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

OTWO, did the people who did not speak to you know you? And the one who did speak not know you? It takes real healing to stand there and be shunned in person and then feel as you did. Wow. I think I'd say something like a sincere, "I love all you." And then I'd smile.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I never met any of them. They were young and following programming all too well. They had no idea why I didn't accompany my wife to that congregation, they just didn't want to find out as they probably were not all that secure in "the truth."

Your reply would have fit, but anything I said, I felt the wife wouldn't remember their rude behaviour over my digging comeback, so I let it go.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit