I am trying to figure out my future if I should go to college or just keep working a regular job...............................

by andys 26 Replies latest jw friends

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

School doesn't necessarily equate automatic success. I work with plenty of people who have degrees, and those degrees did about as much for them as the Faithful and Discreet Slave did for me. Not discouraging an education, but count the cost. I've got a couple friends who drive trucks, and they love it, but they love driving. My one buddy does 12 hour days driving through the State. The hours would get old to me, but he loves it. He makes a good buck, he's pretty much his own boss, and he loves being on the road. I had an old boss in a Tool & Die shop and previously he was a truck driver, and he only stopped because of the time spent away from home as he was always on the road. At the time he wanted to spend more time with his family, and I wonder now if he's gone back to driving as both of his sons are now adults, and his wife died of cancer some years ago. He always told me that he'd like to get back into trucking once his boys had grown up. By the way, not to get idealogical, but the way things are going, I don't think there's much of a future for much of anything. Lately I feel like people need to count their blessings, and take what they can get, cuz they're not giving much to anybody nowadays.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I know people who have made good money driving truck. If you enjoy that kind of work, your situation would be great. Why not give it a try. To make good money you have to find the right company and probably do over-the-road driving. Truck driving school is short and you may be able to save a considerable amount of money in a few short years. After that, you are still young and can go to school if you decide it isn't for you.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I adore college but many skilled jobs, generally through long apprenticeships, offer better money and a chance to use your intellect. Violin makers earn a fortune. Usually, these great skilled jobs are "grandfathered" in. If you grandfather was in, you are in. My father found it impossible to enter these fields as a Witness. Bribes were also a requirement. I believe things are radically different today.

There are many opportunities to work full time and attend school. Community colleges abound. Perhpaps trying one or two courses, asking to audit or sample, so you get a feel for it.

There is a wonderful book on how to research options called What Color Is Your Parachute by Richard Bolles. Basically, you pretend that you are a leading investigative journalist and interview many people with short interviews. I highly recommend it.

I feel college is overrated today. It depends upon the indivudal. College is no panacea or a guarantor of a job. Basically, you want to do what you did here. Ask everyone.

When I was in college, I left Politcal Theory and Accounting for my last semesters. I grimaced as class started b/c I was so certain I would die of boredom. They were two of my favorite courses. I wanted to take more politcal theory courses and change my concentration but I was being pushed out the door.

So find out tons of information. You are the only person who knows the best fit for you once you are informed. My gut feelings are usually accurate.

Good luck.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

can you fit in evening classes? or else what rockygirl said is even better.

• andys
    andys

I really liked what Rocky Girl said and I know my employer would work with me on my schedule if I decided to go to college, also I have one skill I exceed at and that is website design/ecommerce, for a very short time I was running an antique glassware business when i used to live at my parents, I had an ecommerce website up helping my parents sell their glassware but that all has gone out the window since I moved out, also I help a few businesses around town with their websites which I have alot of fun doing.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'm throwing in my vote to keep the job for now, but start checking out the local community college and start with one class that fits your schedule to check it out. Check out financial aid and certificate programs.

I went back full-time as a student because I was 100% sure what I wanted to pursue. Started in community college (cheaper), now in university.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Slightly off-topic, I am obtaining a certificate at a community college decades after getting my degrees at elite schools.

None of the courses I took would be offered by a four year college. Yet many top notch four year colleges in the area automatically accepted full credit towards their degree. It seems unfair to their 4 year student. In today's economy, I could not justify the expense of a freshman and sophomore year at a four year college when equal credit is given for the much cheaper community college. Also, the commumity college had much more organized resources to help students make the transition from high school.

Does anyone know why four year schools do this?

• Sulla
    Sulla

College really isn't for everybody: plenty of people don't care to do the study and I understand that. That said, the key to the American economy is acquiring skills; low-skill jobs are going to continue to be exported overseas and low-skill immigration should continue to erode the wage rates for service jobs. That means the American worker must have skills to do work with greater value-added.

There is considerable demand for workers like machinists, technicians, and other so-called blue collar occupations. If I were considering a career now, I would certainly think about those sorts of occupations and consider getting the training for them. These will require some sort of vocational education, probably some of it technical. If you make the investment, though, it is likely to pay off the rest of your life. The federal government still will subsidize educational loans, so a combination of loans and your job should allow you to make ends meet.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Andy, at least take a few courses at a local community college to determine what you might like to study in college/technical school. If you do decided to go to college/technical school, study for a degree/certificate in a good paying career field instead of a field like English literature where you must have at least a MS or PhD to find a good paying job. If you like to drive, you can apply now to work at delivery companies like UPS, FEDEX, DHL, etc., which do not require trucker training and, I believe, pay lots better than $10/hr. Like what other posters have said: "What you like now, may not be what you want in the future nor enable you to provide for a family."

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

It depends on what you wanting to major in and what career is a good fit for you. Speak with a college counselor. Ask around to see if you can take a personality test to determine what type of work you are best suited for. Then, go to the college placement office. Find out how many of the people in your degree are hired out of school, starting salary, etc. Starting salaries are usually low, so you want to know what the average peson in the profession makes. This is where a job website will be helpful for you to see how people progress.

if you get a political science degree, I bet you will not find alot of work. Alot of poli-sci majors end up in Law School as there is not much 'work' for them.

If you get an accounting or general businss degree, you might be elated at your salary and how it will grow over time.

All that being said, truck driving is a good option. Some of these jobs are unionized, with benefits (like pension, health). Look into the salary and costs of doing this job.

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit