I am trying to figure out my future if I should go to college or just keep working a regular job...............................

by andys 26 Replies latest jw friends

• andys
    andys

I am faced with a dilema right now and need some advice on what I should do with my future, I realize that eventually I'll grow old and will need to somehow work my way up so I have something to fall back on, like someone told me once I don't really have a support structure to fall back on, if something happened where i could not work I would probably wind up homeless, moving back in with my parents house would be out of the question because I would never go back to the borg.

This is my situation right now, everything is going good, I love my job, I am single no kids, I work at a hosptal making $10/hour doing janitorial work, also my rent is very cheap about $350 a month for rent on a duplex, I live less then a mile from work, right now I have the most ideal situation to save alot of money even on $10/hr job, but also I realize that everything can go all at once, if I ever lost my job since I don't have no support structure and could not find work I would be SOL.

Now to some of the things I like doing, I like to drive, one of the things I have always wanted to do is learn truck driving, since I don't have no extra responsibilites, I am still having a hard time though making a decision, on one hand I like my current job, but on the other hand I realize that I do have to plan for the future, if anyone can give me some advice I am at a loss of what to do, also because of the way the econommy is here in the US right now sometimes I think its best to stick with the job that I have but still don't know whats best.

• Listener
    Listener

Andys, it is a little hard giving advise as I live in Australia and are familiar with the opportunities available here but not in the U.S.

Have you considered night school or making arrangements with your employer to enable you to study part time? Some study options may be available on line also.

You should consider work in a high demand area, particularly when the economy is in a slump.

It is always risky to leave your current job for a new position and you should only do that if you are confident in the viability of your new employer.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Picture yourself in 5, or 10 years. Can you see yourself still doing janitorial work? What if you get married? Could you look after your wife if she had a baby and couldn't work for a while?

Look for courses that you can do in your time off. Or something you can study online.

• dm6
    dm6

andys, dont secondthink it. Go to college, do your time. It WILL pay off.

• garyneal
    garyneal

andys,

What do YOU want to do? What type of work do YOU see yourself doing, loving, enjoying. If it is janitorial work then you have found your dream job. If there is something else you want to do, go and do it.

I went to school for electrical and computer engineering because that is something I enjoy doing.

What do YOU want to do?

• mrquik
    mrquik

Hi andys; garyneal is right. You're going to spend a large portion of your life at work. If you can do something you love & support a family, it's the best of both worlds. Try to see yourself in 10 yrs, 20 yrs. Can you retire at this job? Lots of opportunities out there. Good Luck.

• clarity
    clarity

Andys hi,

You have your foot in the door at a hospital. That's very good.

>

Thinking that janitor work is all you can aspire to at the hospital is not so great!

>

Have you looked at the job postings within this hospital?

>

Why not 'move-up', right where you are?

>

Don't be afraid to think big! Take the training to do this, perhaps in a diagnostic area.

clarity

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

I bet that your employer would accommodate you if you told them you were considering college. They may adjust your schedule for classes. Some places have scholarships and tuition reimbursement as well. My school offers nearly free tuition to employees and many of our janitors have worked their way through college that way. It doesn't have to be an either/or decision.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Go to school! There are tons of grants{dont have to repay them} and loans{you do} available!I wish I had.Im going now,but it would hav been sooo much easier if I had done it when I was younger!Do it!!!!And good for you!!!!!

• Lore
    Lore

Do you actually have a job?

If so then you're already doing better than 9% of college graduates.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go to college. If you can, that'd be great. But don't sacrifice your current job in the process.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit