What are you up to this Labor Day Weekend?

by Magwitch 32 Replies latest jw friends

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Working.

zed

• designs
    designs

What will Romney and Ryan say to Labor Movement today.

• Glander
    Glander

"Your days are numbered, mobsters"

Oh, and in keeping with the theme here, I grilled some lamb chops (had the meat man cut 'em thick) Wife made a delicious salad, mashed potatoes and gravy.

Oh, and a damn good Cabernet.

• designs
    designs

It was a disgrace when organized crime took control of some Unions. Trickle Down does not work either. To deny workers Collective Bargaining rights is a tragedy to millions of families. Like in post 1912 the safety and rights of workers are being rolled back one by one.

Most mining death in recent years has been because of Safety violations. My wife's uncle ran a filthy infested farmhouse for its workers in Modesto until Chavez came along and the workers united to demand a living wage and clean housing.

Enjoy the holiday but let's not forget the struggles that brought about Labor Day.

• Glander
    Glander

designs-

I was born in Modesto and lived there from 1972 to 1994. I once dealt with a labor contractor who supplied workers for Modesto area ranchers and farmers. I went to several camps because I dealt in commercial foodservice equipment. Some of them were pretty bad and I told them that they would never pass any kind of health inspection. The fact that the majority of the laborers were illegal migrants helped to perpetuate the problem. Chavez did a lot to correct the situation and he deserves the recognition for it.

Treating people decently is worthy of a special holiday.

This, in my opinion, is not the goal of big organized unions. Their goal is to get rich and powerful. Trade unions (originally called Guilds), plumbers, electricians, etc have done a good job of running apprenticeship programs and establishing standards of workmanship. The big unions have absorbed the trades.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Labored all night taking care of cancer patients. I have so much compassion for my patients. It was a grueling night; administering pain and nausea medicine all night, them drawing labs.

Slept today until 5:30 this evening. Looking forward to three days at home. I can do whatever I want for three days; reading a new book " An Anatomy of Thought, The Orgin and Machinery of the Mind." I will watch my new video

"Think Like a Man." Have to catch up with threads on JWN. It's supposed to be a wonderful week, weather wise.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Glander, I'm having a Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay/ AVANT, with a pizza from Dominos that I had delivered; too tired to cook tonight. Grilled Sea Bass planned for tomorrow.

designs, Chavez is a hero of mine. He did alot for the Cali farm workers. It takes quite a person to devote his/her life for the benefit of others. I even liked Jimmy Hoffa. Unions are needed and were good until others,who are not

looking our for the workers, took over.

• Aware!
    Aware!

I spent the weekend pounding the books. School started for me two weeks ago.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Appearently, everyone one this board had a more interesting weekend than I.

• Aware!
    Aware!

Panhandlegirl- I sent you a PM.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit