short experience about my uber JW family and neighborhood block party

by cult classic 22 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Good for her, CC. You never know where true feelings/personality might overcome cult training.

• PenelopePaige
    PenelopePaige

This is a nice story. Much better outcome than most stories I read on here. :)

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I could be cynical and ask if she's counting her time. Instead, I'll suggest that she's getting tired of have no friends except for other JWs, and constantly talking about JW stuff, trying to impress other JWs. I would suggest getting lots of pictures of the family and together. JWs need to realize that they really can find happiness now, outside of the never arriving panda petting paradise.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Yes I agree with you both OTWO and PP.

Billy - believe me I know she probably did count time (and all the pioneer kids too)...lol. I tend to be on the cynical side as well. In the time we've been out (6 years) she's only stopped by 2 other times. I don't discount that she's dreaming of a comeback experience to present at the District Convention...

But I hope to keep the lines of communication open for the kids. Hopefully, I can snap them out of it before they give their entire youth over to Jehovah.

Yes LWT

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi cult classic, have you thought about inviting your cousin and her children on fun outings with your kids and their friends? It never hurts to show your cousin unconditional love and a good time. If your cousin accepts, great. If your cousin doesn't accept, good and then send your cousin texts or emails of you and your kids having a great time. You never have to mention the WTBTS, but if your cousin asks you, you can always ask her, 'Why are you still a JW? How are you happier today than 10 years ago?" Those simple questions may get your cousin to actually think.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• cult classic
    cult classic

Thanks ABS. Good suggestions.

• mamalove
    mamalove

I am surprised your JW relatives talk to you and let your kids intermingle. Did you post your exit story? I am curious to see whether or not it was cut and dry or they still might be wondering.

My block has a party in a couple of weeks. Was yours fun?! What did you guys do? Looking for any ideas if I end up going.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Yeah for our side!

• cult classic
    cult classic

mamalove - Yes my story is posted. We are not DF'd or DA'd. We left the religion cold turkey. I had a close bond with the ones mentioned in the post my entire life...until we left the religion.

The uber-righteous of my family have shunned us to the extent possible and have been very vocal in spreading that "Cult Classic is no longer in the truth". I've been called everything from spiritually weak to worldly to apostate. All of this in spite of the fact that they've never spoken directly to me about why I left.

The experience above is a direct result of a few efforts to reconnect with this cousin and her kids in a non-cult setting. They are extremely indoctrinated into the cult and the experience above was a big deal.

PS - had lots of fun at the party. lots of kids so we just played games with them. Any outdoor games will do... kids just want to have fun.

• life is to short
    life is to short

This is so good for the kids, at least they will have some taste that the world is not as horrible as we were taught.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit