short experience about my uber JW family and neighborhood block party

by cult classic 22 Replies latest jw friends

• cult classic
    cult classic

We had our block party this past Saturday. We begin the block party with the neighborhood kids and their party horns and harmonicas parading around making lots of noise to announce the party.

My cousin (who lives in the area) is driving past my road and pulls over. We go over, say hello and I let her know about the block party. She has been out in field service with her family and goes on to tell me of all the spiritual activities they have planned for the fall. All of her children are homeschooled and pioneering.

I ask her if she would send the kids down later to play with us. She actually said, "Well maybe I will send them over, but they have rehearsal for the special assembly day program." Now I'm actually surprised she didn't give me the old "they can't play with worldly kids routine", and I'm thinking there is no way she is going to get her elder husband to agree to let them come to the party. I really thought she was placating me so she could get away as soon as possible.

But guess what! About 45 min. later my little cousins come running down the road to join us! And towards the end of the evening my cousin bakes cookies and comes and joins us with her sister (my other cousin) and kids. Can you guys believe that?

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

That is great for her children to be able to play with others and have a normal childhood experience.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Yeah it is QE. And to top it off, she and the kids came over to visit a couple of days later. She actually let her son ride his bike over later that day. All of this is interesting because since we've been out, she's been the most vocal about our exit. Spreading around to the other witnesses that we're not in the truth anymore. And she has only visited me twice since we left.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Sounds to me like there may be a crack in her 'spiritual' armor. It might be very small but a crack never the less.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

If she sees you happy, the Cognitive Dissonance is probably eating her alive! Keep living a full life, one day you may find her "faith" is way more fragile than she displays.

EDIT: QE above is a faster typer than me.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Also, they may be trying to win you back by being friendly, kind and polite. Showing you that as a strong witness you can still have fun.

But, those types of plans often backfire because the kids will actually be having the time of their lives with regular people and regular fun.

Congratulations.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

That is wonderful CC ! I wish my relatives could act a bit more normal .

• cult classic
    cult classic

QE - one of my little cousins said that her mother told her she could come over when she "gets tired". Interesting isn't it? The only thing for those kids to tire of is the routine.

YB and Listener - Yes, the cognitive dissonance is getting to her. And before leaving she mentioned that she wanted to watch one of the WT videos. But I doubt she will get around to it. That part of my family is very guarded against anything that criticizes WT. But I'm able to keep the conversation on non-cult topics so far. We have lots of history, obviously.

OM - This is definitely a first for this part of the fam. They have been very vocal and opinionated about our exit. But have yet to ask or say anything directly to us about leaving.

• leavingwt
  • james_woods
    james_woods
    That is great for her children to be able to play with others and have a normal childhood experience.

Especially important for "home schooled" kids to get some normal interaction with kids their own age.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit