New court docs for Menlo Park KH scandal

by Juan Viejo2 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep, the story just ain't sexy enough to make the big time.

• dozy
    dozy

Thanks for posting - fascinating situation.

I agree with the other posters re general interest of the press. Unless it is a "blood issue" style story , they really are completely apathetic about JWs & other similar religious groups.

• sabastious
    sabastious

All financial records should be public for any religion or non profit.

-Sab

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

I remember Juan Viejo mentioning that a local reporter was interested but I haven't seen any news articles yet.

• steve2
    steve2
    I remember Juan Viejo mentioning that a local reporter was interested but I haven't seen any news articles yet.

I risk sounding like a wet blanket, but here goes:

Local reporters are constantly on the "look out" for potential stories. They verbalize interest and may even follow up leads. They excitedly take it back to the newsroom where Ms or Mr Editor says, "No" or "Is this it? What's your angle? Kill it and get off your butt and go for something that will lead". Few reporters are encouraged by editors to run with stories about religious conflict - one of the reasons (but not the main one) is editors not wanting to upset customers who might be affiliated with that religion. The last thing the editor wants is JW Bob Bussle from Premium Window Cleaners pulling his advertising with the paper.

Hence the newsroom expression, if it bleeds, it leads. That's not an indictment on the media; it's the fact about what sells and what people read.

Having said that, if a reporter has the experience and skills to make a story come alive with human interest, they more easily convcince the Editor to run with it.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Gayle - it is possible, in fact probable, that some HQ lawyers went along with Don Adams. There seemed to be a shift in strategy after his visit, but I have no direct confirmation that they were involved. There are some things going on in the background that could eventually involve the WTB&TS of Penna. Since they own all of the deeds, properties, insurance, and loan funds, they are the sitting target if fraud can be proved. At this point, the plaintiffs are only interested in their own vindication, not in suing the WTS or getting monetary settlements. Their reputations were damaged and one of them was accused of embezzlement. So they feel they have no choice but to take it as far as they can. They want their good names back and if possible, to be restored to their elder positions and good standing.

Doubting Bro - No, they have not been DF'd yet, but are surely to be as soon as the case settles one way or the other. They still do some field service and go to occasional meetings to retain their active status. But it sounds like a case for insubordination and "brazen conduct" to me. They know they have little or no chance of staying in as JWs.

DontPlaceLiterature - Yes, there is a local reporter working on the case. We share tips from time to time. The plaintiffs have so far refused to meet with her personally. She is monitoring the court documents and court hearings and has a few inside contacts herself. I'm sure that the Bay Area newspapers will pick up the story as soon as she is ready to publish and gets her editor's approval. There are many meetings and court proceedings ahead, so she is biding her time. Everyone I've spoken to is pretty sure that when this case actually goes to trial, the gates will come off the barn.

Steve2 - you are right. This case does not involve a celebrity or a major politician. Pat Robertson, Paul and Jan Crouch, Jimmy Swaggart, Haggard, etc. have all had their share of problems and scandals, and those cases seem to just disappear and are eventually forgotten. The NYTimes was far more interested in the WTS selling off their Brooklyn properties, but have rarely mentioned any WT scandals. They completely ignored the passing of Ray Franz - in spite of his notoriety and overall effect on the course of the WT Governing Body.

Dozy - you are also right. Spill some blood, kill somebody, or rape a baby - and they'll spend months writing about it. But falsifying records, underhanded dealings, and financial ripoffs (unless you are Bernie Madoff and steal Billions!), no newspaper will show much interest. But I think this story will eventually get some larger press exposure.

Sabastious - I totally agree with you. Theft, extortion, falsification of bank records, and illegal tax evasion are all crimes and should not be able to hide behind a religious facade nor committed by someone wearing a Roman collar or flowing robes. Criminal activity is just that - criminal. So far there is evidence in this case of alleged forgery, falsification and back-dating of official state corporation records, and theft under false pretenses. Just saying that they are exempt from prosecution because they are a religious organization doesn't make it right. I hope the judge in this case takes her time and let's her excellent sense of justice help her come to her final decision. From where I sit, there seems to be a correct verdict sitting there staring her in the face as long as she does not confuse "freedom of religion" with "excused criminal activities."

SIAM - the reporter has not dropped the story, but is simply waiting until the case either goes to court, or the story plays itself out one way or the other.

JV

• traveb
    traveb

Thank you so much for keeping us updated on the case. I live nearby but am in a different circuit so I don't know anything about this CO Koehler. If that Navy SEAL thing turns out to be true that would be hilarious! I do know that he got rotated to the Napa circuit.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

traveb - when did Koehler get transfered? Is this recent, or was this a couple of years back?

JV

• traveb
    traveb

traveb - when did Koehler get transfered? Is this recent, or was this a couple of years back?

I was told it just happened as of the new service year starting today, part of the normal rotation of COs. I assume his Napa assignment will be just for one year then he'll rotate again in 2012 when all the COs start rotating at the same time.

Again, I'm not in the same circuit as Menlo Park so hopefully someone in that circuit can confirm.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The NYTimes was far more interested in the WTS selling off their Brooklyn properties, but have rarely mentioned any WT scandals. They completely ignored the passing of Ray Franz - in spite of his notoriety and overall effect on the course of the WT Governing Body.

ONLY JWs think that everyone is as interested in their news (be it their Good News, or their news in the community) as they are. JWs are such a small percent of the population that they really DO NOT MATTER other than they wake people up too early on Sat/Sun. 1.5 billions hours preaching, and very few outsiders know anything about the religion other than they do not celebrate birthdays or holidays (and they wake them up to damn early on Sat/Sun).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit