Why Certainty About God is Overrated

by leavingwt 49 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

From today's USA Today . . .

Why Certainty About God is Overrated

. . .

Some atheists like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens are similarly locked into their certainty about the non-existence of God. If something has a religious whiff to it, their certainty takes over and reasonable discourse is the victim. Religion, politics and science all have their fundamentalists who are blinded by their so-called certainty.

Doubt, the comeback

But doubt — at least in the world of Christianity — might be making a comeback. Mother Teresa's letters, captured in the 2007 book Come Be My Light, show a servant of God and the Church plagued by her doubts. Jason Boyett writes about doubt in his book O Me of Little Faith, and even hosted a blog on Beliefnet by the same title. He says he is "a committed follower of Jesus who occasionally finds himself wondering if maybe, just maybe, we've made this whole thing up."

Rachel Held Evans' book Evolving in Monkey Town, tells her own story of being brought up in a world of certainty, only to find that it simply didn't make sense. "Most of the people I've encountered are looking not for a religion to answer all their questions but for a community of faith in which they can feel safe asking them," she writes.

It may be OK, finally, for people to admit that they don't know things for sure — whether it's about quarks, light, God or the best way forward for the nation's economy.

At 80, Polkinghorne doesn't let his own doubts keep him from believing, any more than he let his doubts about quantum physics keep him from solving problems. He still prays, still celebrates the Eucharist, still believes in some kind of life eternal.

As for belief in God, "It's a reasonable position, but not a knock-down argument," he said. "It's strong enough to bet my life on it. Just as Polanyi bet his life on his belief, knowing that it might not be true, I give my life to it, but I'm not certain. Sometimes I'm wrong."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/story/2011-08-28/Why-certainty-about-God-is-overrated/50166464/1

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am CERTAIN that God has not revealed himself/herself/itself to me.

I am CERTAIN that if the God who revealed himself/herself/itself to others wanted anything from me, he/she/it could easily reveal himself/herself/itself to me directly.

Since that hasn't happened, I am CERTAIN that I must proceed as if God doesn't exist.

• garyneal
    garyneal

It's nice to know that I am in good company. Thanks for posting that.

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

Universal human cognitive process naturally produces the concept of the supernatural.

OTWO- Most JWs would tell you that your JW experience is an indication that God has revealed himself to you, but you rejected him out of free will and God's actions do not override our free will.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

100% belief in ANYTHING is impossible for humans, but we can come pretty close.

I have no doubts about the existence of God, but I do have doubts about MY UNDERSTANDING of God, I accept the fact that, perhaps, to much of my understanding is based on what I WANT to be, rather than what MAY be/IS.

Am I 100% certain there is a "GOD"?

Yes, I am just not 100% certain WHAT and WHO that God is, but I HOPE that I am right about WHO I THINK God is.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I proclaim that I believe in Christ. It is not the same sort of faith as when I tried to believe in the WTBTS. I feel this is why I have a more realistic view than has actually increased my faith. I only had certainty as a child. It passed with more education in school. Also, we were very isolated from most Witnesses b/c of where we lived. There was no socialization. I played constantly with Roman Catholic kids and a few Jewish kids. Looking back, it is amazing what kids share about their religion. None of it was probably correct. I could never see God destroying them.

I became more worldly as I aged. College found me at a leading university in a world city. New Testament courses sent me reeling about JW. I stumbled upon the Anglican Cathedral that was in the neighborhood. I was very impressed by the ambience and the wide range of lay and clergy people. Confirmation classes stumped me. I spoke with a female priest who was a therapist. Altho I was embarassed, I told her of the Witnesses and that I had no present faith as I did in my childhood. Certainty was decidely absent. She asked if I thought about anything the same way I did as a child. Also, it became clear that no one cared about my certainty or devotion. No one was judging me.

Whenever I asked a priest for clarification of doctrine, I came away with a vague, umbrella, love one another, love God ambience. So friends are stumped by my church activity and explanations of the political machinations involved with NT and church formation. The Witnesses were too certain, Dramatic miracles never happen in my life (not completely true) but I can see truth in Christianity in a skeptical manner. The first century no longer has fireworks bursting forth in my mind. Ultimately, it is my personal preference. I choose to believe. Another person could reasonably not believe on the same facts.

• Terry
    Terry

Knowing is what we do to survive in the actual world.

Believing is what we do to make it seem worth surviving.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The "noble lie" Terry?

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I am CERTAIN that God has not revealed himself/herself/itself to me. I am CERTAIN that if the God who revealed himself/herself/itself to others wanted anything from me, he/she/it could easily reveal himself/herself/itself to me directly. Since that hasn't happened, I am CERTAIN that I must proceed as if God doesn't exist.

"He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless YOU changeand BECOME LIKE little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the LOWLY position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such CHILDin my name welcomes ME." Matthew 18:2-5

I only had certainty as a child.

Hence, my Lord's admonition... to change and (once again) become LIKE little children, dear BOTR (peace to you!).

A slave of Christ,

SA, who marvels that some who were formerly considered themselves "teachers" of "truth" somehow did not... and still do not... "get" it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Not having all the answers is so much nicer than being a JW and thinking the gov bod is privy to all the answers. Mystery is a good thing!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit