Tax Exempt status - is there a way to get JWs to lose it?

by Black Man 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Strangely someone else asked the same question earlier today about the JWs in the UK http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/215119/1/Is-the-IBSAs-charitable-status-in-the-UK-vulnerable

• Joliette
    Joliette

I dont think the WT or any religion is gonna lose their tax exemptions anytime soon. Since they use the bible to justify their stance (along with jayhobo) and they 'have his backing' they use this to justify why they shouldnt pay taxes, along with saying their doing 'gods work.'

I hope I'll be around when legalistic religions finally does get taxed. That will be the happiest day of my life!!!!!!!!

• Darkside Blues
    Darkside Blues

^ Agreed! I don't see why they get a free ride when everyone else has to pay through the nose in taxes.

• LV101
    LV101

IF ONLY. i can understand them being exempt if they're feeding, clothing and caring for the needy like the salvation army. the catholic church is an incredible charitable organization but our gov't allows religions like the w/tower to remain exempt --- unreal. THEY GIVE NOTHING TO NO ONE and i wish the taxpayers could do something about this.

• Joliette
    Joliette

^ So true.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Coincidental thread. I just wrote about writing letters to representatives and senators in the USA in the thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/politics/215126/1/Ive-Been-Sooo-Bad-Hopefully-Something-Good-will-Happen today. I feel that the more Americans who write letters to their representatives the better chance that dangerous cult-like organizations like the WTBTS will either need to change or lose their tax exempt status.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• Scully
    Scully

Well, I think if people just stopped giving them money it would have an equally profound effect.

The more holdings they have to sell off to keep the printing presses rolling and keep the GB living high on the hog, the better. Eventually, the waters of Babylon will dry up.

• LV101
    LV101

Scully --- love your hopeful post --- wish i had your faith!

• blondie
    blondie

First, in the U.S. they would have to no longer qualify as a religion under the law. Since I don't see that happening to the Raelians or Scientologists soon, the WTS would have to do something new and extreme for that to happen. For people not from the US, the linchpin of why many people came to the US was to find religious freedom that they did not have in Europe. So religion is viewed somewhat differently here than in many other countries. It is no accident that Russell picked the US as his headquarters, a somewhat stable country (financially) with strong religious protective laws. The WTS is a legally based organization. They know how to work the laws of this country and others and have a large experienced legal staff that has specialized in laws affecting religions.

I don't see religion losing their tax-free base in the US; but I could see the WTS losing it religious status. But not easily, they know how to play the legal game and know that the US would rather protect a religion under the law that they don't like then damage the spirit of the Constitution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit