Typical earthquake comment

by MrFreeze 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

My mom texted me after I texted her letting her know I felt the quake today. Her only response was "'Matthew 24:7". It really annoyed the hell out of me.

• sabastious
    sabastious

That's because it would annoy the hell out of anyone.

-Sab

• Darkside Blues
    Darkside Blues

Yup, was with my Mom and two "sisters" this afternoon (they're taking care of someone who recently had surgery) and we felt the quake. All they could talk about was "signs of the times" and tried to lure me into sharing my thoughts on the matter. An earthquake happened - big bloody deal! I swear if I hear one more person talking about it, I'll kick a puppy.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Mathew 24;7 . . . "earthquakes in one place after another" . . . right?

Ask her why Christchurch, New Zealand has had over 8,000 earthquakes in the last 12 months and they've all been in the SAME FRIGGIN PLACE!

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

According to the US Geological Survey there are approximately 1,000,000 earthquakes around the world every year (although the vast majority of these are so small they can only be detected by sensitive scientific equipment).

Of these 1,000,000, approximately 1/10 are large enough to be felt by humans. This means that on any day there will be on average 275 earthquakes around the world that can be felt.

Perhaps even more surprisingly, on average there are around 100 earthquakes a year that are large enough to cause damage (however they often don't because they occur away from inhabited areas). This means there is a little under a 1 in 3 chance of there being a "large" earthquake on any given day.

The British Geological Survey have published some data on the annual average frequency of earthquakes of varying magnitudes:

Description : Magnitude : Frequency per year
    Great : > = 8.0: 1
    Major : 7.0 - 7.9: 17
    Strong : 6.0 - 6.9 : 134
    Moderate : 5.0 - 5.9 : 1319
    Light : 4.0 - 4.9 : 13,000 (estimated)
    Minor: 3.0 - 3.9 : 130,000 (estimated)
    Very minor : 2.0 - 2.9: 1,300,000 (estimated)

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Wnat point are you making zeroday

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I got an email from my mother was well. I was thankfully spared the "its the end of the world" stuff. Very unusual for my mother not to mention that.

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

The point is Mr. Freeze is earthquakes happen all the time but the JW’s get their hair in a twist when they hear of one…

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Mr Freeze , you should text me in cases such as these or other emergencies . As an experienced Mother I will provide you with appropriate Mom words of care .

For example : If you had texted me : " Guess what Mom we just felt the earthquake !"

my reply would have been : " OH dear ! Honey I hope you are okay , .....Do you have clean underwear on ?? You know it is always important to have clean undies on in case you get hurt, and have to go to the hospital . Wouldn't want the Nurses thinking you were raised in a barn sweety " Hugs and Love ,Mommy

Now THAT would be as annoying as Hell ,just a different level of hell

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

I thought about going to the meeting just to hear what people have to say about it since it shook us pretty good. Then I didn't want them to think I was running back into the cold dead hands of the frozen congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit