Hurricane Irene!

by skeeter1 47 Replies latest social current

• d
    d

I will do that I will gather some water

• ziddina
    ziddina

Ahem...

I think, upon review, that I need to explain my post with the gigantic, bright red letters...

I wasn't aiming that specifically at anyone. But it was a scream of anguish, over what I've seen thru the years, after many natural disasters...

So, I wasn't yelling at anyone. But it was a primal scream of pain...

• shamus100
    shamus100

Stay safe everyone.

Unless you've been living under a rock, you obviously know this is going to be a doozie. I really hope it doesn't hit New York!

• d
    d

We are fully stocked on food, water and candles.How about anybody else here.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

It's over now and we didn't lose power

• d
    d

We lost power and I am posting from my school. It has been 3 days it is not bad so far.I think of those who lived before electricity was discovered.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

More than 40 people are dead, and parts of Vermont are still in bad shape.

Many Vermont Flood Victims Remain Cut Off

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/story/2011-08-30/Irenes-death-toll-jumps-as-towns-battle-floods/50184218/1

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Upstate New York was hit hard, too.

From the Hudson Valley to areas farther north, along the Mohawk River and Schoharie Creek, New York growers, many of whose farms have been in the family for generations, were dealt a devastating blow by the storm, which dumped heavy rain on the region. Some farmers, who were without power and hobbled by disabled equipment, were not even able to assess the full extent of the damage.

State and local officials said the storm destroyed dozens of farms and crippled many others by killing livestock, submerging crops, washing away barns and buckling nearby roads. The onslaught came at the worst possible time, with farmers in the midst of harvesting a year’s worth of labor. In some spots, orange orbs were eerily visible underwater during flyovers by state officials — a vestige of the season’s pumpkin crop.

“Clearly, it’s not good,” said Darrel J. Aubertine, the commissioner of the state’s Department of Agriculture and Markets. “I’ve been involved in agriculture my entire life, and there have been times when the weather has wreaked havoc on livestock and farms, but I don’t think I have ever seen anything on this scale here in New York.”

Representatives of farmers’ markets in New York City said that shoppers would feel the effects throughout the fall. “There will be farmers they’ve known for years who might not be bringing product,” said Michael Hurwitz, director of the greenmarket program at GrowNYC, a nonprofit group.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/31/nyregion/after-irene-upstate-new-york-farmers-suffer-in-flood-plain.html?_r=1&hp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit