Freshly dead JWs were NOT living "in the time of the end"!

by Nathan Natas 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I picked this thought up elsewhere, and it's been worming its way through my brain...

A friend of a friend was notified not long ago that one of his JW peers since childhood had died. In itself, this is not too remarkable, because these guys are now into thier 60s, and mortality certainly does begin to raise its ugly head at about that time in one's life: either your friends die and leave you, or you die and leave them.

But the question came up, "Can we say that Roger, PERSONALLY, was living "in the time of the end" if THE END didn't come while he was alive?"

It seems obvious that poor dead Roger was NOT living in the time of the end.

The question that flows from this is, "Am _I_, PERSONALLY, living in the "time of the end"?

On one hand we have an increasing pile of corpses who were clearly NOT living in the time of the end, and on the other hand we have not one single person who has yet survived the end of the world.

The odds are that, like Roger, YOU are not living in the "time of the end" either.

How do you feel about this?

• sd-7
    sd-7

That sounds like it has great potential for a future Watchtower article, which will erase the 1914 stuff altogether and say that only those who survive till the end were actually living in the time of the end. Great work! You've cracked the code!

--sd-7

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

wow! that's genius! jesus talked about the generation that survived the time of the end! you know. "THIS generation". it all makes sense now.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

If the time of the end was just a self imposed marketing ploy to attract the publics attention by the WTS. publishing house,

TTE could realistically be 1000 years in the past or a thousand years in the future.

A hypothetical suggestion with no real rational or logical substantiation upon any actualized evidence.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

the end already came. well, "came" is not the correct translation, "the end is present". invisibly of course. since 1945.

• sir82
    sir82

This ties into another WT paradox.

Supposedly the "Great Crowd" was identified and "began to be gathered" in 1935.

According to Revelation and WT theology, the "Great Crowd" passes alive thru the "Great Tribulation".

How many people from 1935, identified as Jehovah's Witnesses, are still alive today? Even an infant from that time period is in his 70's now, closing in on 80. There are virtualy no adult JWs from that time period left.

As time goes on it will be "evidently" apparent that the "Great Crowd" was not identified in 1935, since no one from that time period will survive into the still-to-come "Great Tribulation".

So when did the "Great Crowd" begin to be gathered, if not 1935? 1945? 1960? 1999? Tell us, WT!

Yet another cherished gem from the WTS "spirtual heritage" proved false by the passage of time!

• C.O.B.E.Beef
    C.O.B.E.Beef

The" time of the end" has been used as an idiom, much like "the time of my life". It is equally subjective. It will have no concrete meaning unless it is ever used in retrospect. IMO

• laverite
    laverite

COBEBeef, you're a smart one and I already like you!!!!!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Russell thought he was living in the time of the end, dead now for 95 years.

Rutherford thought he was in the last days too - dead 69 years now.

Don't know when Knorr died, mid-70's I think? Lets say more than 35 years.

Even the king of "end times speculation" for the JWs (Freddy) has been gone now for 20 years.

All of these clowns thought they were special in that they lived "in the time of the end" Were they all liars? Looking in the rear view mirror, of course, but they probably all believed it with their heart and soul (well maybe not ole' Joe)

I like how Ray Franz put it, something to the effect that it is "the myth" that holds this organization together. Mythology is a powerful force indeed.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

If the WTS is still around in a 100 years they will most likely be saying they are living in the time of the end.

This is called preaching " The Truth "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit