How can i make my cat drink?

by highdose 19 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Also, switch over to canned food since it has a high water content and that helps....and agree, switch to bottled water for a bit etc to see if it helps. sammies

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Try chicken broth and dab a little on the mouth so he/she gets the taste.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Try distilled water in case he has a UTI. If he goes for more than a day without drinking or starts to hang out near his litter box, Rush him to the vet. His UT may be blocked, and cats die very quickly from that.

If he is blocked and you're not already feeding him a premium brand of at food with a low ash content, please start.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Try distilled water in case he has a UTI. If he goes for more than a day without drinking or starts to hang out near his litter box, Rush him to the vet. His UT may be blocked, and cats die very quickly from that.

If he is blocked and you're not already feeding him a premium brand of at food with a low ash content, please start.

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Jack puts an ice cube in the cat bowl. Chills the water slightly and makes an interesting add on for the cat to lick, look at and play with!

Hope your cat is ok!

Timmy and Jack xxx

• rebel8
    rebel8

I have a water feeder that refills after they drink it. I keep it in the main, center room of the house. That solved the problem of my cat not drinking enough.

There are also fountain dishes you can get. Sometimes they won't drink stagnant water.

• Lease
    Lease

i have lots of cats.

they like to drink water out of the faucet. cats like running water. i got them a kind of fountain where the water flows over a dome and into a dish and is constantly going thru a filter.

i also give them water that is filtered, pur filter or brita filter. when it is hot i give them refrigerated water, but some cats dont like the coldness. so i have two bowls inside the house. one cold and one room temp.

i have also given them the milk for cats. it is cheaper if you buy the powder kind and mix it with water. there also is another kind of milk for cats that come in a small rectangular container, but i dont think it has any vitamins. but, the kind that i buy in powder form is for kittens, but i have given it to cats when they were not feeling well.

also, i will boil a chicken and give them bits of chicken with a little bit of broth.

also, wet cat food has water in it.

take to vet asap since she is old.

let us know how your cat is doing.

lease

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Male cats are prone to clogs in their urinary plumbing and water is essential in helping avoid this.

If you give your cat wet food, try adding 25% water to the food. As he becomes used to this "soup," increase the water to equal parts water and wet food. I use warm water because it enhances the smell of the soup. My cat had no complaints about his soup, but cats are very individual and may not take to it right away.

If hydration continues to be a challenge, have your vet show you how to administer subcutaneous sterile water via a hypodermic syringe. The object here is to get the water into the space between the skin and the muscle tissue, where it will be absorbed by the cat's body. This is standard procedure for treating dehydrated cats. Don't share needles with your cat.

It might also be helpful if you had a way to set up some kind of moving "water feature" for your cat. The sound of moving water "calls" to all kinds of critters much more than sitting stagnant water does. A little babbling waterfall or rapid drip ought to do it; the important thing is that there is soume water noise.

• Violia
    Violia

If you can take the cat to the vet, they can hydrate him. I have used a syringe and just put it down the cats mouth and squirted water in my cats mouth- usually in conjunction with taking meds. Cats can be very difficult.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I have a twelve year old cat and recently looked up to see what symptoms of a cat dying from old age are. Unfortunately refusing to drink or eat is one. I hope this isn't the case for your cat, but it might be a place to start researching. Our cat is just old and sleeps most of the day when he used to be active, so I didn't go into reading with how to handle a cat not eating or drinking. I hope you are able to find something out for your cat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit