How can i make my cat drink?

by highdose 19 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

Its the height of the summer here and i think my eldery cat is not drinking enough. His urine smells strong like human patients that i used to work with did when they hadn't drunk enough.

Hes got fresh water down all the time, but hes not touching it?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

You can lead a cat to water....

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

When ours got to that stage he would only drink from a dripping tap.

• watersprout
    watersprout

Is the water cold?? Sometimes when they are old the cold temp of the water hurts their stomach... Put the dish in the sun to warm it. Plus the sun on the water is very healing.

Cats are fussy creatures... I hsd three growing up and if something wasn't right they soon let us know. lol

Peace

• highdose
    highdose

he has water in the sun and out of the sun. Hes not drinking either

• fade_away
    fade_away

Feed him pretzels :D

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

If you are really concerned, you can use a dropper and actually force him to drink...likewise dunk a cloth in water and squeeze it into his mouth. If he is outside most of the time and you aren't sure if he actually is drinking, you can keep him inside and monitor it more closely and see if changing it up for him works. sammies

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Steal his 401K, run off with his wife or make him join JW's for 35 years and then tell him about the U.N. connection!

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

Hello Highdose, I had similar trouble with my elderly tom. He wouldn't drink tap water only rainwater from the water butt. Do you live in a hard water area, as this can put them off drinking. Try him with bottled mineral water but only the still kind. Hope it's just a case of feline fussiness and not the onset of kidney trouble, good luck to you both.

• mummatron
    mummatron

My cat gets UTIs a few times a year. I have to try a few things to get her to drink. One time I had some prescription food from the vet with a high water content. That was expensive, so I usually just mix about 150ml of water into her meals instead. A crushed garlic clove mixed into meals works quite well to encourage them to drink without making them thirsty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit