Do you still experience the joy of discovery in the "old-fashioned" way?

by compound complex 18 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings:

Overwhelmed by the abundance of information, images, music, movies and merchandise available online, I was thinking back to my first discovering a Brahms' symphony on vinyl, played on a raspy second-hand phonograph; a prized book on a dusty corner shelf at the neighborhood bookstore; the perfect shirt in a thrift store.

How about you?

CoCo

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Most definitely and most delightedly so, my Dear CoCo!!!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I agree with you. I've never had a store model's body shape, so I have to try something on before I'll buy it. The waist might fit, but it's too tight across the shoulders or boobs. Or it might fit me perfectly, but be too long, and due to the design of the dress it's impractical to alter it. Same goes to shoes. I have wide feet, so I have to try on a pair of shoes to make sure they'll be comfortable. Oh, and one foot is slightly longer than the other too! So when I find something that fits AND looks good on me, it's the Eureka moment. I'll be smiling all day, happy with my new find.

Likewise with a bookshop, or a second-hand item found at a garage sale. And the pleasure of holding it in your hand, feeling its weight, its texture, and the fact that YOU are holding it.

• agonus
    agonus

Jaded though I may be, I have my moments. For me the greatest thrill is anything that induces that warm wave of nostalgia. For example, I was at Borders the other day enjoying their going-out-of-business sale and my eye happened to fall upon a classic children's story that brought me back to those halcyon days of pre-kindergarten. I immediately said aloud "SWIMMY! I love Swimmy!" not quite loudly enough to embarrass myself. Who knew a silly story about a little fish could conjure such strong emotions? :)

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Indeed!! No music on vinyl though, and I can't say I miss it. I love a complete immersion in a pristine piece of music. I do love a used book store.

I particularly enjoy finding some sad furniture item at the thrift store, that I can take home and rejuvenate!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Agonus, I get nostalgic when I see Little Golden Books with the same stories that I used to read.

pssst: I've still got all my LGBs.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, dear friends, for your wonderful comments.

I gush and jump up and down so readily at a discovery that I'm a natural at behavior that would embarrass one's kids though not the perp himself.

Off to discover the joy of clean sheets in the magical land of nod ... ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Love,

CoCo

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well I just bought a in good condition 1938 Singer Treadle machine for $76.00. I've ordered a belt for it and replaced a small rubber belt. I've researched the points I would need to oil and I'm going to wipe the sewing cabinet down with Murphy's oil. I'm very eager to get the rhythm of the treadle down and start sewing with it. It's neat that I won't need an electric motor to sew. Can't wait.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Josie, for sharing news of your great find!

I've seen many of those lovely "wooden cases" in homes (ours, too), sitting as mere props for some sort of display.

Hope you're soon in the sewing of things! [Bethel pun from the hand bindery]

Love,

CoCo Coudre

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I remember finding the book Archy and Mehitebel at a garage sale. i love that book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit