Very poorly dog has been rushed to emergency vets!

by watersprout 48 Replies latest jw friends

• watersprout
    watersprout

Thank you LKL... Everyones thoughts and wishes are very appreciated and needed.

Peace

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I hope it doesn't come to this, but I want to give you some roadmap of how I handled a difficult situation. I had to put a dog to sleep. I loved this dog very much, and had him for over 10 years. I promised him that I wouldn't see him in great pain and with little hope of a good recovery. So, when he got cancer and couldn't stand up. I took him to the ER. They did tests, and everything was out of wack. They kept him overnight and tried to give him IVs and pain killers, but the pain killers caused his heart to race. He was too old to handle the narcotics. I couldn't see him in pain. He didn't deserve that. He was a very loyal, loving dog. But, he couldn't understand the pain he was in. I wanted to keep him alive, but I knew I would only be doing so for me. In all of this, the ER doctors wanted to try this and that more...but both his regular vet and my own doctor told me of the terrible pain he was in.

You are obviously very good with dogs and attach to them. Dogs benefit in your company.Put yourself in the dog's situation as you make these decisions over the next few days. I hope it doesn't come to it, and the vets find an answer.

This old lady may be a crazy old lady. I don't know what your country's laws are, but, in the US, people who are a threat to themselves, others, and animal life can be brought in by the government for psychological evaluation and a watch for a few days. These loony people are kept longer if the person is considered a candidate for a mental institution. Many states have animal cruelty laws, which would also put her in criminal jail. I am serious about getting the vet and police talking to each other.

(I am looking forward to a new puppy which will join our house in a few months.)

• watersprout
    watersprout

Awww Skeeter i'm really sorry for your loss....

Both Carrot and I have discussed that if it comes to the worse and they contact us as to what to do, they are to let her go... I refuse to have her brought back round to carry on suffering if she will have to be put down in a matter of days/weeks... She would have the pain of recovering from surgery plus whatever it is that is making her really ill... If she is suffering (like you) I will not keep her alive, becuase I would only be doing that for me. I am sure she will survive and that what is making her soo ill will be cured... I can't think of the worse, it's too difficult to deal with.

I have asked a friend for advice as her brother is a police officer... Even if we had video footage and saw something come over the fence, we would have to prove it's her. And then prove that whatever she had thrown was poisoned. Then if we had the poisoned meat we would have to prove that it was from her and not what we had planted to get her in trouble... Althought the UK has laws to protect the animals, it's a very hard to prove that someone is hurting them no matter if you have seen them with your own eyes or footage of them doing it.

It's like the fiasco in Essex uk where an abbatoir was filmed torturing the animals before killing them. There was footage and yet it was thrown out of court because the footage was obtained without the abbatoir knowing... The UK is a joke!

Peace

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Here in the US, we get super mad at peope who hurt animals. There was a very famous US football player who was caught in a dog fighting ring. He went to jail for a few years. He had a terrible reputation from this, worse then if he had killed a person. We have a cable television channel, Animal Planet. It has shows on animal cruelty called Animal Cops (officers assigned to animal neglect and abuse cases). There also is a show on Animal Hoarding, bringing in psychologists to help the people let go of their neglected animals and embrace their neglected friends and families. There is also a show on Whale Wars - private citizens in ships, speed boats, and rafts, harrassing Whalers in the Antartic. Victoria Stillwell is a UK dog trainer, and her show is super popular on Animal Planet. President Obama HAD to get a dog, as presidents are known by their dog. Politicians have to hold babies and puppies. One constable in my area has a television commercial introducing his beloved dog. Unfortunately, the US has a huge problem with unwanted pets who are put to sleep for no other reason then there is no home for them. But, we'd wage holy dog biscuit war on anyone who hurts animals!

I hope you a good Sunday.

• watersprout
    watersprout

We do have people that help and protect animals, but on a whole the goverment does'nt give a flying fig!

We have plenty of animal activists who do a lot of good. A few years ago a woman stood in front of a livestock lorry and the driver mowed her down as she wouldn't move. Killed her. The goverment said she shouldn't have stood in front of the stationary lorry.... *Sigh*

Peace

• watersprout
    watersprout

Update on the dog.

Took her to the vets this morning... All of us are wrecks, not sleeping or eating.

An hour later I had a phone call to say could I come and collect her as the oxygen due to come in was delayed by 6 hours and they have to re-schedule all surgeries. When I got there I was told that they had sedated her and were trying to x-ray her stomach. When they came out they said that she kept moving so couldn't get a clear picture.

So back up vets tomorrow for surgery... She is classed as urgent.

Because she was sedated she has been very wobbly, I have had to carry her around as she won't be left in the room without me. She has kept down three tablespoons of baby food so far. So fingers crossed! She poo'd herself in the kitchen and I was a bit gross and searched through it (using kitchen roll as the barrier between the poo and my skin) looking for anything that could have blocked her. I started heaving and gave up lol.

I'm really brassed off now because the dog will get upset again and will spend another day feeling really poorly.

Peace

• tec
    tec

Oh no, Watersprout, I'm so sorry. Nothing is more frustrating, and your poor dog has to be transported back and forth yet again. I've been *waiting* for Monday with you. Now I'll *wait* for Tuesday as well.

Strength to you,

Tammy

• AGuest
    AGuest

Golly, I have to say I'd be a little ticked off at this new delay, dear WS (again, peace to you!). I know you've seen another vet, but this one seems to just keep delaying things. What is UP with that?? Sorry, but I'm just not used to that - here, some people put so much more store in their pets than in other humans (not me, but...) that the care is almost equal to human medicine and hospitals - LOLOLOL! We have emergency rooms and everything! So, forgive me for not understanding - it just may not be that way where you are, and so I apologize if I am out of line. But if I'm NOT... I commend you for your patience. I would have said, "Okay, thank you!" and gone straight to another pet hospital! If nothing more, just to try and find a way to put an end to her suffering (not her, her suffering) asap.

Ah, well...

Well, take care... stay calm... and know we're all waiting with you, dear one!

Again, peace to you and your household!

Your servant, sister, and fellow slave of Christ,

Shel

• watersprout
    watersprout
    Oh no, Watersprout, I'm so sorry. Nothing is more frustrating, and your poor dog has to be transported back and forth yet again. I've been *waiting* for Monday with you. Now I'll *wait* for Tuesday as well.
    Strength to you,

Thank you Tammy Any chance you have any strength you could send me?? I'm wiped out! I have black bags under my eyes and I am exhausted... I am a really rough looking sprout at the moment lol.

I have no idea how the dog is coping! She is in the garden with Carrot while he mows the lawn, she is just staring into space. Still completely zonked!

Golly, I have to say I'd be a little ticked off at this new delay, dear WS (again, peace to you!). I know you've seen another vet, but this one seems to just keep delaying things. What is UP with that??

It wasn't there fault Shelby (the greatest love and peace to you)... They were very angry. The problem is they are a charity and everything is provided for via donations... They are a wonderful charity who really truly love animals... If we took her to a private vet it would have cost nearly £1200... There is no way we have that kind of money at the moment. If we took her to a private vet she would have had to be put down as we couldn't afford to have her treated...I think it's a case of ''you know who'' messing!

Sorry, but I'm just not used to that - here, some people put so much more store in their pets than in other humans (not me, but...) that the care is almost equal to human medicine and hospitals - LOLOLOL! We have emergency rooms and everything!

Sounds like the animals get better care than us brits do with our hospitals lol!

So, forgive me for not understanding - it just may not be that way where you are, and so I apologize if I am out of line.

You are not out of line. I can understand, it's quite a slow process with everything here... Humans and animals...

But if I'm NOT... I commend you for your patience. I would have said, "Okay, thank you!" and gone straight to another pet hospital! If nothing more, just to try and find a way to put an end to her suffering (not her, her suffering) asap.

They are pretty much all the same... Only many of the private vets are in it for the money... Would have kept her suffering just to fund their lifestyles.

Thank you for waiting with us. I will let you know as soon as I know something.

Peace

• AGuest
    AGuest

Ahhhhh, yes, I understand, dear one! I am glad you have such a service, and my apologies for misunderstanding!

Peace, truly!

SA, on her own... waiting with you...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit