"the wife should have deep respect for her husband" (Eph 5:33)

by Wonderment 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

possible-san: I thank you for bringing this to my attention. After I checked the Index and saw Eph 5:33 quoted twice I missed the Imperative section on p. 485 which was being discussed. My apology to you and to the other readers. Rest be assured, it was not a purposely deceitful citation. It was plain human error. I focused at the Imperatival hina section he wrote about on p. 477. At the time, I also was checking other reference works when the mix-up ocurred. I feel there is nothing to gain by being dishonest. I hope this goes both ways. I stand corrected.

Other grammarians, though, do mention the effect of the Imperatival hina at Eph. 5:33 For instance, An Idiom Book of New Testament Greek by C.F.D. Moule (Cambridge) had this to say:

"An interesting extension of the final hina is the well-known idiom whereby it becomes practically imperative in sense. [...] ii. He [Cadoux] refers to four widely recognized N.T. instances: Mark v:23...; II Cor. viii. 7...; Eph. v. 33 [he de gune hina phobetai...]; and let the wire revere...; Gal. ii. 10... [...] There are some indications that it would be better in some cases to describe the hina as ‘denoting content’ rather than as imperatival [...] But it is clear enough that in many cases the hina is virtually imperatival." (pp. 144-45)

Compare The International Standard Version which you quoted earlier which translated Gal 2:10, thus: "The only thing they asked us to do was to remember the destitute, the very thing I was eager to do." (Greek: only of the poor ones in order that we may remember...hina mnemoneuomen)

A.T. Robertson writes under Eph 5:33: "Let the wife see that she fear (he gune hina phobetai). There is no verb in the Greek for "let see" (blepeto). For this use of hina with the subjunctive as a practical imperative without a principal verb (an elliptical imperative) see Mark 5:23; Matt. 20:32; I Cor. 7:29; II Cor. 8:7; Eph. 5:33..." (Word Pictures in the New Testament, Vol IV, p. 547)

• possible-san
    possible-san

Wonderment.

Rest be assured, it was not a purposely deceitful citation.
    It was plain human error.

Yeah, I see.

But I feel that it is not mere "plain human error."
    You meant to probably point out "the incorrect information by me/possible" clearly.

But I thought that that explanation was "strange", when I looked at the material which you quoted.
    When I did not know the context of that material, I felt so (strange).
    But, you had not noticed that you did make an error.

First of all, since you did not know the difference between the "imperative mood" in Greek, and an "imperative" similar to that , you made such an error.

Other grammarians, though, do mention the effect of the Imperatival hina at Eph. 5:33 For instance, An Idiom Book of New Testament Greek by C.F.D. Moule (Cambridge) had this to say:

"An interesting extension of the final hina is the well-known idiom whereby it becomes practically imperative in sense. [...] ii. He [Cadoux] refers to four widely recognized N.T. instances: Mark v:23...; II Cor. viii. 7...; Eph. v. 33 [he de gune hina phobetai...]; and let the wire revere...; Gal. ii. 10... [...] There are some indications that it would be better in some cases to describe the hina as ‘denoting content’ rather than as imperatival [...] But it is clear enough that in many cases the hina is virtually imperatival." (pp. 144-45)

I feel that your "power of understanding" is poor/weak, although I respect your investigation.
    You should check the Scriptures (English Bible versons) which he (Moule) shows there.
    Why don't you do that?

Mark v:23http://bible.cc/mark/5-23.htm

KJV
    I pray thee
    , come and lay thy hands on her

Darby
    [I pray]
    that thou shouldest come and lay thy hands upon her
    NASB
    please
    come and lay Your hands on her

NIV
    Please
    come and put your hands on her

NWT
    Would you please
    come and put your hands upon her

---------------------------------

II Cor. viii. 7http://bible.cc/2_corinthians/8-7.htm

NRSVso we want you to excel also in this generous undertaking
    ISVthe more we want you to be rich in this work of kindness

NLT
    I want you to
    excel also in this gracious act of giving

TLBNow I want you to be leaders also in the spirit of cheerful giving

GNT/TEV
    And so we want you to be generous also in this service of love.
    GWTthe more we want you to participate in this work of God's kindness

NWT
    may
    YOU also abound in this kind giving

---------------------------

Moreover, interestingly, with regard to 2 Cor 8:7, the Apostle Paul has stated like this in the next verse.

2 Cor 8:8 (NIV)
    I am not commanding you,

Well, with regard to 2 Cor 8:7, it is written as follows in the commentary.

"The phrase "see that you also excel in this grace of giving" is hyphenated by the NIV to suggest that a break occurs in the syntactical sequence of the listing of the gifts.
    It reads literally, "in order that (hina) you abound in this grace also."

The hina may express expected consequence:
    "I am pointing this out so that you may excel in this gracious work too";

a wish or exhortation:
    "I wish or exhort that you excel in this gracious work also";

or an alternative form of the imperative as the NIV translates it,
    "see that you also excel."
    This last option is the best.

Verbrugge argues that Paul uses this construction as "one of the least direct ways that Paul could use to express the imperatival idea."
    It "expressed more of a wish than a command, and people who were not in a superior or authoritative position to the recipient of the letter tended to use it."
    (Verbrugge, Paul's Style of Church Leadership, 47-51.)

It forms a marked contrast with the simple imperative in 1 Cor 16:1-2:"

(THE NEW AMERICAN COMMENTARY, 2 Corinthians, by David E. Garland, B&H Publishing Group, 1999. p. 374)

http://books.google.com/books?id=v-wIGBC7n5QC&pg=PA374&lpg=PA374&dq=wish+imperative+hina&source=bl&ots=uFCArp19xM&sig=s-ytnOo6vPP6hr88g0UXt5MWF6E&hl=ja&ei=vh5ZTtG4MMPrmAXZmeCVDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=wish%20imperative%20hina&f=false

You have to understand correctly what I am trying to say.
    I said your explanation regarding "a practical imperative" is right/correct, before you quoted from grammars/grammarians many times.

And, also in English, I showed about "injunctive expressions", although it is not the "imperative mood."
    That is, "I want you to..." "Will you...?" "Would you...?"

I suppose that you are probably also using these expressions in your daily life.

possible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit