"the wife should have deep respect for her husband" (Eph 5:33)

by Wonderment 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Women were a part of the group of disciples who followed Jesus as he preached. The Scripture makes it plain that the women provided the financial support to Jesus and his followers:

Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; Joanna the wife of Cuza, the manager of Herod’shousehold; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means. (Luke 8:1-3, NIV)

Doug

• Scully
    Scully

I don't go for the one-way street of respect that the WTS endorses. Respect has to be mutual to have any meaning.

• designs
    designs

Did you ever hear the audience snicker at this Scripture during a Wedding Talk....

• Mary
    Mary

Paul was a typical chauvinist for his time, so what he wrote is not surprising. What is disgusting is that there are still some idiots (like the Slobbering Body members), who still try to apply this to our time. This nonsense was written in the same light as "slaves, be obedient to your masters", yet no one today advocates for slavery.

I'm with Scully on this: respect has to be a two-way street.

• designs
    designs

What jobs do the wives of the GB do at Bethel.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Paul used women in important roles

But never the MOST important roles.

• designs
    designs

'Hold the tent pin steady Phoebe!' Paul

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

There's not much in the bible that makes any sense to me but this edict from Paul, that most modest of men, is as apt and timely as his advice that wives should be submissive and in subjection, being as they are the weaker vessel.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Mary,

Paul did not write Ephesians.

It was penned some 50 years after he died, and a forger made out that it was written by Paul. That was the only way he could get his abominable position accepted.

The writer of Ephesians was wrong, but it was not Paul who wrote it.

The decision on the writings that would make up the NT was not made until the 4th century, and the Roman Emperors at the time were involved. Their acceptance of Ephesians was not their only mistake.

Doug

• possible-san
    possible-san

Well, I think that that Greek ("hina phobeetai") should be translated like the "International Standard Version."
    That is, it is "may the wife fear her husband", and is not "should have deep respect."
    http://bible.cc/ephesians/5-33.htm

And in Eph 5:22, there is no word "subjection" in the Greek text.
    In Eph 5:21, that behavior is "to one another" (Greek; alleelois).

Well, although I have accepted "higher criticism", I think that Paulo wrote Ephesians, IMO.

possible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit