Questions that were never answered for me

by WasOnceBlind 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mynameislame
    mynameislame
    Satan challenged Gods right to rule.

God lost that bet a long time ago and even more so if JW really are the one true religion.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

I'll take a stab at the basic JW answers on these if you want. (puts on cult hat)

Why are we not allowed to have beards?

Well you can have beards if you like. After all, Jesus has a beard and hair grows on mens faces. However, because we are a "spectacle to the world", and many are still stumbled by this appearance or believe it represents a person of suspicious motive......we really encourage all to put on the new personality, and not allow themselves to put personal taste above what may be a stumbling block for those in the ministry. even then if someone insists on having a beard, they can, but cannot enjoy special privileges in the congregation. Who would want to miss out on that!

Why no tattoos is mosaic law is over?

(see beards......add tatoos making declaration of "ownership" of your body, and willingly gave ourselves to Jehovah in baptism)

If god is love, why does he allow so much suffering? From what I remember their main answer was that it started in Eden when Satan challenged Gods right to rule. However, I refuse to believe that a God of Love would let billions thru history suffer and die just to prove a point!

Time is but a blink in jehovahs eyes, and all of this will be righted with these ones getting a do not pass go, do not have to go through Armageddon card in order to see the new world.

Why no birthdays? (their explanations are super shaky)

Only 2 mentions of birthdays in the bible blah blah blah. But also they claim it is self glorification, pagan tradition (candles etc...), and that the first century Christians purposely avoided it (spurious claim).

Of course the bible has nothing good to say about dogs or indoor plumbing.....but those seem to be ok.

Is earth is 6k years old, whats up with Dinosaurs? Cavemen?

JW's do not believe the earth is 6K years old. They believe man is roughly that old.

I had many more, these are just some that come to mind.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Why did the WTS make a calculated date of first 1874 and then 1914 of Christ's return toward taking position of his heavenly throne when he clearly admonished his true followers to not make date on gods sacred time ?

I guess they were thinking more about what would look alluring and attractive to place on the front cover of the Watchtower magazine !

Maybe that's why very few Christian based faiths have done so because they want to respect and follow inline with Christ's direction on the matter ?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Keep asking those questions. The Watchtower belief system relies on the idea that the Watchtower speaks for God and anyone who questions that will be bird food at Armageddon. Once you question this self proclaimed appointment, which doesn't even make logical sense, it it all falls down like a house of cards.

The Watchtower has predicted Armageddon numerous times, and been wrong every single time. Why would anyone trust them for anything?

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    I had many questions the elders could not answer. For me science answered most of them. In the future I'll be looking forward to new scientific discovery and certainly not new light.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I was told that beards were not allowed because the Witnesses had to abide by community norms about beards. They ignored the fact that most 'worldly' people had nothing against beards.

I once checked out a Sears catalogue and found that one of its male models had a beard. Needless to say, Sears reflected the norms of the people they were trying to sell to.

They'll try to make an exception for this Mosaic law but they won't have an answer when you bring up the law about Israelites not cutting the sides of their face.

If god is love, why does he allow so much suffering? From what I remember their main answer was that it started in Eden when Satan challenged Gods right to rule. However, I refuse to believe that a God of Love would let billions thru history suffer and die just to prove a point!

They give the typical Evangelical answer. As you stated, God has to allow such suffering in order to prove a point. And the point he's trying to prove is that he loves enough to allow Jesus' suffering and death to somehow save us from eternal suffering!

Because when birthdays are mentioned in the Bible something bad happens. Yes it is a shaky explanation. If evil people in the Bible were to wear purple garments the same logic would indicate that purple clothing is prohibited in the Bible.

They actually believe, or once believed, that each creative day was 7,000 years long. Since we're into the 6,000 year time period of the last day that means that creation is 48,000 years long.

However, for the existence of the Earth itself, presumably as a lifeless rock, they went along with the scientific consensus that the Earth was over 4 billion years old. They separated Genesis 1:1 from verse 2 saying that only verse 2 applied to the creation days not verse 1.

I had many more, these are just some that come to mind

Keep those questions coming.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Damn, millie210! I give a thumbs up to your comment as did Oubliette.

I can't believe you said that. I didn't know anybody else had ever thought of it. I've wondered about it many times. It would have really been a sacrifice if his death had been a permanent one, but, as you said, he knew he was just going to be asleep for three days and then be brought back to luxury.

I admit that his method of execution was extremely unpleasant, but people have died in ways that seem to me to be a lot worse.

• millie210
    millie210

I cant believe I said it either. At least here there is a strong possibility it wont get me tarred and feathered.

Good point about his unpleasant execution but as we were told in the articles about the brothers being persecuted horrendously in Malawi "You dont feel it after the first minute or so."

That was supposedly due to the Holy Spirit of course.

Which we know Jesus would have in abundance. So really, how was what he did even as brave or noteworthy as those poor men and women in Malawi?

All above sarcasm intended.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Millie: I always wondered why Jesus dying was such a big deal. He was only dead 3 days and he KNEW his Father would resurrect him, so why was it so HUGE?

Jesus took one for the team!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Here's some alternative answers to VI's

Because Santa has a beard.

Because those tattoos are going to look terribly faded and saggy as you grow old and wrinkly waiting your entire life for armageddon to get here.

It wasn't just about Satan. There was the naked lady, fruit, and a talking snake. Maybe you would understand the issue if a naked lady ate your lunch and told you that a talking snake told her to eat it!

Remember that Jehovah gets really jealous. This isn't just about him getting torqued off because you have a special day. He gets torqued off because GOD DOESN'T HAVE A BIRTHDAY! Since he's from everlasting to everlasting, he's never had a birthday party, no birthday cake or presents for God. So it makes him sad when people have birthday parties and he'll never, ever, never, never, ever know that joy. So we need to be polite and not have birthday parties for ourselves or our friends.

Those are all things that Satan has stuck in the dirt to deceive you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit