SEX! and the DC Sunday Drama

by Red Piller 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bnybyt
    bnybyt

Hey Red Piller,

I was at the last DC in Amherst and yes it was embarrassing to hear all the sex talk.

Joseph in our DC was one of the Hilchey boys from Bennington, I've known him since he was an infant.

Potiphars wife--who looks like a model--was actually Joseph's wife in real life.

I don't think another brother would have gotten away with slamming the basket against her breasts otherwise.

On the way back home my wife and I commented on the drama.

I said it was embarrassing to hear young people talk about sex so openly in a DC.

She said that it's because that's the way kids nowadays talk and that's what's going on.

I said back--with eyebrow raised Mr. Spock fashion--is that really the way kids nowadays talk in the Kingdom Hall?

That ended the discussion on the drama.

• simon17
    simon17

I think its not just that they were saying sex over and over but that they were so stoic about it. Just a few realistic euphamisms or something would be nice.

Imagine hearing at the DC: "Yo, did you bang Jessica? Thats what she posted on the Internet?"

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

I've heard from parents with small children who thought the drama was too much. The kids would look up at their parents every time the word "sex" was used - and it was used A LOT. Then the parents have to try and explain the issues at hand, which are over the little kids' heads. In addition, the parents also have to give reasons why it is alright for the drama to talk about sex so much. I think that this would have been good for teenagers and adults but not for small children. That is, normal teenagers and adults. It's just my opinion but I think the Watchtower cultivates a sexually repressed and naive environment.

Which leads me to my biggest issue, Watchtower hypocrisy. As I was watching the modern day portion, I thought, "If this were a TV show, a lot of witnesses would turn it off." I was reminded of the counsel I've heard from the platform many times before: What if Jesus walked in to your house while you were watching your favorite show? Would you be embarassed because of the violent, sexual, or otherwise worldly themes in the program? In this drama, you had young kids talking openly about sex, a teenage girl shaking her hips, tossing her hair, rubbing up against a boy and propositioning him for sex. This is pretty realistic for teens today. But JWs are not supposed to be entertained by this sort of thing, even if there is a message behind it.

Then, you have the Bible times portion of the drama. Buff, shirtless men. A sexy seductress. A criminal who makes lewd jokes on the subject of rape. These elements are the stuff of romance novel fantasies, soap operas and raunchy comedies; all things that JWs are told to avoid. But here, at their annual convention, they're treated to the very same things they're counseled to run away from.

Sisters are always reminded to be modest and not give brothers any reason to get aroused. But in this drama, you have a super hot female lead in a gown that shows all her curves, strutting around with sexuality oozing from her pores. Is that not a potential turn-on for brothers? Then you have many sisters in the audience who may be single, divorced, or experiencing marital problems. Those sisters are reminded by the Society of their place, especially in sexual matters. But in this drama, you have muscular, shirtless men in beautiful costumes playing a role of servants. I would be willing to bet that quite a few ladies (and some men) got a bit flushed when those studs walked out on the stage. Could that not be a stumbling block for a person who is trying to keep their sexual desires at bay?

Maybe I'm making too much of this but as it stands now, I see a double standard.

• isojourn
    isojourn

aw, too bad I skipped the DC, again. Sounds like it would have almost been entertaining with a some popcorn and candy. There are plenty of stumbling rocks take your pick, sexy egyptians, using the word sex a lot to an audience of too young children...cough false doctrines cough.

• St George of England
    St George of England

If you are desparate for something to watch, it's on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf6hbQ0Cbgo&list=FLiWAZWSz8ou0&index=5

George

• badseed
    badseed

I was surprised to see all the sex innuendo, it felt a little uncomfortable, I don't know why but it did. I thought too that their choice of music for the modern day sections was a little weird. Can't really explain it, sounded like some kind of cheap elevator music that didn't fit in with the rest.

• isojourn
    isojourn

Hahah. Thanks. YouTube go figure...

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Hmmm---all these FALSE accusation against fine upstanding brothers. I wonder if they will ever handle REAL accusations--er no. Even when they made that DVD about Dinah being raped---it came down to HER association. Always ready to spread the blame to women.

About 10 years ago or so, it was the Moabite women sexually tempting the clean Israelite men. No wonder they can't get their heads around rape and child molestation. The stories they teach always paint innocent men being falsely accused or tempted by loose women.

NC

• man in black
    man in black

Foxes ??

Sex??

Big American breasts ???

protruding buttocks ???

Slap my hand soul man and lets swing over to the jw convention !!!

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Why would a worldly girl change her story? I was waiting for the brother to get judicial action taken against him. I thought that all worldly people were bad and yet she admitted to lying. Hence this drama shows how their are good people in the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit