QUOTATIONS ABOUT RELIGION......FOR AND AGAINST...WELCOME YOUR THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS

by Pams girl 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Thanks Tammy I think its important that we are all different and have varied beliefs. x

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Thanks for your comments Jeff Great quote!

Got me thinking about 2 films I loved as a child, and still take the opportunity to watch when they come on....."Sinbad and the eye of the tiger" and "Jason and the Argonauts"

I must say, I agree with your reasoning regarding the dates.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Another Harris quote if I might:

" Tell a devout Christian that his wife is cheating on him, or that frozen yogurt can make a man invisible, and he is likely to require as much evidence as anyone else, and to be persuaded only to the extent that you give it. Tell him that the book he keeps by his bed was written by an invisible deity who will punish him with fire for eternity if he fails to accept its every incredible claim about the universe, and he seems to require no evidence whatsoever."

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Do you own that particular book Jeff? Of course, feel free to post others, hope other forum members do too.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Damn it. Lost my post.

Yes, I have his book. His words are fond to me, a relative new member of the atheist circle.

I believe that the world needs to pay heed. We are headed to oblivion if the religious fanaticism that has gripped our species for millennia continues. We cannot any longer afford to allow religion, and religious ideologies that remain unchanged in substance for thousands of years, proven unreliable in the midst of rational and scientific understanding, to rule our societal evolution. Both Christian [mark Oslo tragedy] and Muslim [mark 9-11 etc] zeal is but a step away from from something akin to Hiroshima, should these fanatics who believe that God inspired a book [as filled with inconsistencies as both the Bible and the Koran are] or inspires them to pass judgment on the 'sinners'. God cannot help us. We must help ourselves to a healthy awareness of the problem of religion and find a way to prevent the mass extinction of our species by those unwilling to accept fact over mythology.

[How did I get up on this soapbox? Walking away with a shy smile as I step down.]

Jeff

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..."
    C.S. Lewis

God loves each of us as if there were only one of us. ~St. Augustine

God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed. ~Saint Augustine

But I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things. ~Vincent van Gogh

A little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men’s minds about to religion. ~Francis Bacon

http://www.authorama.com/essays-of-francis-bacon-17.html

All are but parts of one stupendous whole,
    Whose body Nature is, and God the soul.
    ~Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man, 1734

Those who believe that they believe in God, but without passion in their hearts, without anguish in mind, without uncertainty, without doubt, without an element of despair even in their consolation, believe in the God idea, not God himself. ~Miguel de Unamuno

I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker. ~Voltaire

I could not say I believe. I know! I have had the experience of being gripped by something that is stronger than myself, something that people call God. ~Carl Jung

• sizemik
    sizemik

This one strikes a chord . . .

You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when he hates the same people you do. . . . Anne Lamott

Kinda like one from my old friend A Einstein . . .

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation and is but a reflection of human frailty.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Thanks BTS, some good quotes there Carl Jungs quote is of particular interest ......."something PEOPLE call God..."

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Thanks MS That Anne Lammott quote is great isnt it! Had to read it twice before I realised she had said WE created GOD in OUR image!

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Drunkenness is temporary suicide. Bertrand Russell So true IMHO. Alcohol consumption has been used for pain relief for decades. Just wish I had discovered it sooner and used it accordingly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit