QUOTATIONS ABOUT RELIGION......FOR AND AGAINST...WELCOME YOUR THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS

by Pams girl 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Hello all, thought Id spend an hour typing these quotations.......hope you find something you like, and welcome your thoughts and comments. Paula.

QUOTATIONS ABOUT RELIGION

I still say a church steeple with a lightening rod shows a lack of confidence. Doug McLeod

But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common sense to pray for the sinner who needed it the most? Mark Twain

If there were no God, there would be Athiests. G.K.Chesterton.

It is doubtless true that religion has been the worlds psychiatrist throughout the centuries. Karl Menninger

Religion is the metaphysics of the masses.....Arthur Schopenhauer

All religions are the same : religion is basically guilt, with different holidays. Cathy Ladman

The church is the great lost and found department. Robert Short

By reading the scriptures, I am so renewed that all nature seems renewed around me. The sky seems to be a pure, cool blue, the trees, a deeper green. The whole world is charged with the glory of God and I feel fire and music under my feet. Thomas Merton

God is INNOCENT! Noah built on a flood plain. Unknown.

The whole point of Christianity is that everyone from Charles Manson to Mother Teresa, deserves to go to hell. Sean Ninger

A religion can no more afford to degrade the Devil, than to degrade its God....Havelock Ellis

Where it is a duty to worship the sun, it is pretty sure to be a crime when examining the laws of heat. John Morley

I considered atheism, but there werent enough holidays. Unknown

According to science, the universe began as a swirl of gas that, as it cooled, spun off the Ten Commandments. Robert Brault

You can safely assume that youve created God in your own image when he hates the same people you do. Anne Lamott

I believe in God. I just dont trust anyone that works for him. Unknown.

The more I study religion, the more I am convinced man never worshipped anything but himself. Richard Burton

"Have you made your peace with God?" "I wasnt aware I had a quarrel with him..." Henry Thoreau.

In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously than the practitioners. Jonathan Miller.

The Sriptures - sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based...Ambrose Bierce.

A man without religion is like a horse without a bridle. Latin Proverb

God is a concept by which we measure our pain. John Lennon

Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the serpent, and the serpent didnt have a leg to stand on. Unknown

God makes so many different kinds of people, why would he only allow one way to serve him? Martin Buber

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple, the philosophy is kindness. Dalai Lama

Follow Descartes! Do not give up the religion of your youth til you find a better one. Martin H. Fischer

Most sermons sound to me like commercials. I cant make out if God is the Sponser, or the Product. Mignon McLaughlin

Religion often gets the credit for giving rascals peace, when in fact, old age is the medicine. Austin O' Malley

No sooner has Jesus knocked over the dragon of superstition than Paul boldly set it on its feet again, in the name of Jesus....G.B.Shaw

I think I will believe in GOSH instead of GOD, If you dont believe in GOSH, you will be damed to HECK Unknown

The last Christian died on the cross. Freidrich Neitzsche

Nature wants us to enjoy life to the full and die without giving it a second thought. Christianity wants the opposite. Saint-Beare

Life in Hubock, Texas, taught me two things-

1.God loves you and you are going to burn in hell.

2. Sex is the most awful filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love. Butch Hancock

No man treats a motorcar as foolishly as the treats another human being. When the car will not go, he does not attribute its annoying behaviour to sin, he does not say "You are a WICKED motorcar, and I shall not give you any more petrol until you go!"......He attampts to find out what is wrong, and set it right. Bertrand Russell.

Which quote stands out for you and for what reasons? Paula x

Hope you enjoyed reading them, nonetheless. x

• Pams girl
  • wasblind
    wasblind

Hey there Lady ,

don't fret none I'm readin' em

and trust, I'm LOL at some :)

the ones that talk junk appeal to me

I especially like the one about Texas

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"Have you made your peace with God?" "I wasnt aware I had a quarrel with him..." Henry Thoreau.

This one resonates with me.

The people (religion) selling me a solution are the ones claiming that I have a problem (sin). Does something not seem right about that?

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

This one, Paula:

In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously than the practitioners. Jonathan Miller.

(except, of course, when the practitioners are Jehovah's Witnesses)

One of my favourite quotes on the subject:

Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. (I'm sure I don't have to tell you who said it).

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Wuz x

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Agreed LWt, they think we have a problem. WE dont think we have a problem.

Guess thats their problem then.....haha.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Yes Nickolas, your quote strikes a chord........but I dont think I knew it as well as I thought I did.....always thought it was "opium of the masses..."

All the quotes were taken from a website called "The Quote Garden" Sorry, cant post a link. Lots of interesting topics about life, love, relationships, children, jokes etc......

Paula

• tec
    tec

I'm chuckling at a few of them (including the one Was mentioned).

This one resonates with me:

A man without religion is like a horse without a bridle. Latin Proverb

I like that one. Christ DID come to set us free from the burdens that the 'religion and religious leaders' weighed the people down with.

Peace,

Tammy

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I love Bertrand Russell's take in the final quote in your post.

May I share one of my favorites? This is from Sam Harris' book 'The End of Faith':

"Whatever their imagined source, the doctrines of modern religions are no more tenable than those which, for lack of adherents were cast upon the scrap heap of mythology millennia ago: for there is no more evidence to justify a belief in the literal existence of Yahweh and Satan than there was to keep Zeus perched upon his mountain throne or Poseidon churning the seas."

In fact, if I may add - it makes more sense to worship Zeus and tremble at Poseidon, for these God's are 'older' than the Judeo/Christian versions of God, if you track the roots. At least this is the argument that many of religion use about the Bible/God/Jesus - their relative age to that of our modern society should compell us to believe in them.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit