What would you say to a pregnant teenager and her parents?

by skeeter1 22 Replies latest social family

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Stay out of it.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Ditto what Scully said.

Obstinence IS possible...

The collective burden on society will eventually put these people out on the street.

• applehippie
    applehippie

Reality check for the girl. She may have wanted this to happen but she will learn a lot from it one way or another.Just encourage her to get through each day as it comes. Help if she wants help- just be there if she doesn't want it.

I know this because my own daughter managed to get pregnant this spring while living in off campus housing. My heart aches for the difficulties ahead of her but after a short fiveminute "this isn't the way we raised you" speech my husband and I told her we will welcome the baby as part of our family. She's wanted a baby ever since I can remember- but boyfriend relationships have not worked out for her so well... and this guy was a total loser. Sheesh. He's long gone now, but we don't want him back. Bipolar, with anger issues, controlling, manipulative, rebound boyfriend. Tried to tell her...

My daughter decided to squeeze one more semester in before the baby comes early January. So, I'm happy she is continuing to try to finish her education. But she's learning much more than that- being pregnant is not sunshine and roses! First the nausea and vomiting, then the aches and pains, fatigue, and because she has always been extra consious of her body, the gross, "goopy" stuff that happens. Sometimes it's just funny. She's admitted in not so many words that if she knew what she knows now, she would not have taken this so lightly and paid more attention to preventing it.

I could suggest Care Net crisis pregnacy center for unplanned pregnancies. They walk moms through the entire pregnancy, have weekly classes, one on one and in groups. The moms (and dads) are supported with advice and given paper Mommy bucks for meeting goals to "buy" clothing and items to prepare for the baby.

Obviously this is not the ideal way to start a family- but the little one needs love and Mom is best equipped to love and care for it (or make a truly well informed decision on adoption) if she has a good support system.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit