What's Fun in Boston?

by SixofNine 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

You're a huggable lot you SBC!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

noted. I hear the Cream Pie is to Darfur. As beans are to 'Dishu.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Then there's Six.........

• creativespirit
    creativespirit

Well, if I were you and had the time, and had not been there before, I would spend at least a day in Boston. I find that the information centers are great and can steer you in the right direction if you tell them your interests. Can save a lot of time a $.

You might be traveling up to Surrey on Rte 1 once into ME if it is an hour from Acadia. On the coast I hope? If you travel Rte 1 there are great little places along the way (along with the factory outlets and LLBean) -- Boothbay Harbor, Kennebunk....

Well no matter how much time you have it probably won't be enough and you will want to go back.

A word about Red's Eats. It is very famous and must do for many visitors. It is a little shack at the bottom of a hill that anyone going thru Rte 1 has to pass thru, that serves seafood takeout. For years my husband and I have passed it, seen it on the cable food channels, read about it. There is always a looooong line of people. I decided we had to do it just once and so we did it this past trip. The lobster roll is $20, comes with no sides, but it contains probably 2 lobsters worth of lobster meat. We waited for 2 hours in line with many others first in the sun, then in rain. The lobster roll was the best I have ever had, but not sure I would stand there again for the experience.

I had been to Bar Harbor many years ago and was surprised to find that it has become quite the tourist destination, cruise ships dumping 6,000 at a time into town and all. If that is not your cup of tea I would spend more time in the park, and off the beaten path. There are many side streets with the names of "Bay View", "Old Harbor" etc. Following them can lead you to some great photo-ops. There is also fishing, boating, antiquing, etc.

No matter what, have a wonderful trip. I am sure you will.

Best, CS

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

lol@Beks and Six.

six: I could go full Danny Hazzard on unsuspecting JW's.

Great line! I've gotta go to bed and this is totally off topic but I really want to start a Danny Haszard thread. I forgot about that name until you mentioned him. When I was a dub, I remember seeing his crazy-ass comments on every frickin JW-related news article and I thought, geez, this guy's a real obsessed nut-job. Now I have a bit more sympathy but I'm wondering how I'd see him if I read one of his rants today.

Apologies... carry on, fair people!

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Some of my favorite Maine pics

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

When I was a dub, I remember seeing his crazy-ass comments on every frickin JW-related news article and I thought, geez, this guy's a real obsessed nut-job. Now I have a bit more sympathy but I'm wondering how I'd see him if I read one of his rants today.

I suspect you would think " Geez, this guy's a real obsessed nut-job"...................but I could be wrong............

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

LOOK at those pics Six!!! Did I do good or what???

Not that it takes much to shoot a digital camera at stellar scenery.........

• Open mind
    Open mind

I was there about 20 years ago when I was single and before becoming a foody.

LegalSeafoods.com

Fantastic clam chowder.

Also, the Witch Museum in Salem was touristy but enjoyable.

om

• under the radar
    under the radar

What a coincidence! We just got back from a few days in a lake-side cabin near Machias, Maine. Had a wonderful time. Acadia National Park is nearby, and so are a lot of little towns on the coast just across the water from Canada.

We live about 50 miles from Boston, over in New Hampshire. One "must see" for anyone interested in American history is the John Adams house. You can get there easily on the "T." It's almost exactly as it was when he lived there. Filled with priceless antiques and historical objects and documents. His personal library, with its original contents, is right next door. Fascinating!

I can also highly recommend the Fine Arts Museum, the Museum of Natural History, the Science Museum, and the Isabella Gardner Art Museum (a little off-beat and quirky, but well worth the visit). You won't be disappointed. And whatever your political persuasion, the JFK Presidential Library and Museum is very interesting and informative from a historical perspective.

Have a great vacation! Don't forget to post some pictures when you get back...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit