New Statesman: famous atheists explain why they don't believe in God...what is Hawking saying?

by unshackled 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

I don't think anyone said that Hawking believed in God. Even by stating that the does not claim that God doesn't exist, that doesn't mean he believes that He does exist either.

This somehow validates the christian belief, indeed, the christian god MUST exist, and not just because I believe it so. All those other beliefs and gods need their own scientific sponsor,..lol

:)

See, I find it to be the opposite, I guess. It makes no difference to me if Hawking believes in God, or simply does not deny the possibility (which is what I think is behind his statement - him not denying the possibility when asked about it). I have nothing invested in it one way or the other, and so I read the quote in the only way it made sense, to me - with zero bias because it does not affect me in the least.

It does seem to make a difference to the atheists who put credence into having Hawking in their corner, though.

Peace,

Tammy

• AGuest
    AGuest

It does seem to make a difference to the atheists who put credence into having Hawking in their corner, though.

Ooooh, Tec... (Shelby looks around quickly!)...

Okay, now you done gone and done it! You might wanna break out your little "mine field sweepin'" apron, girl! 'Cause I think I can hear the "bombs" already going off from here! But... I hear you, dear one! And I'm admiring YOUR grande cahones, right now - LOLOLOL!

The greatest of love and peace to you, dear one... and you might wanna cover up 'cause "low blows" occur 'round these parts all the time! LOLOLOL!

YOUR servant, sister, and fellow slave of Christ... who also had nothing invested but only took Dr. Hawking's comments at face value... particularly in light of the show where he said them, during which you COULD hear the "inflections" in his voice... albeit perhaps not the emotion...

SA

• unshackled
    unshackled
    I don't think anyone said that Hawking believed in God.

Hey Tammy...sounds like you had a great trip driving across the country. That's on my bucket list. As for the above, not sure who that is directed at…but why would it matter if anyone actually stated that or not? I started this discussion, spurred by Sam Harris' tweet, by being unsure what Hawking was trying to convey. Considering he was offering a public statement for non-belief, I found it lacking and brief. So to better understand his view, figured it was relevant to post some of his elaborated comments on the subject of God. At the very least I was simply curious...and hope others were too.

Easy…now you're getting Shelby all riled up for a playground scrap. No thanks. Speaking for myself, if Stephen Hawking came out and declared he found Jesus in his pasta sauce, it wouldn't at all affect my non-belief and non-worship of Yahweh, Allah or Oprah. Would I find it intriguing? For sure, and would want to hear what he had to say.

But as far as I'm concerned, in my "corner" it is just me, Mrs. Shack, our dog, and until the thread dies, Miracle Max. Except when he's in the kitchen whipping together an MLT: mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich…where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. They're so perky, I love that.

For those interested, a video of a discussion between Hawking and Richard Dawkins on the origin of life, our future and God. Sorry can't embed it...just the link.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xek6vt_richard-dawkins-visits-stephen-hawking_tech

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Speaking for myself, if Stephen Hawking came out and declared he found Jesus in his pasta sauce, it wouldn't at all affect my non-belief and non-worship of Yahweh, Allah or Oprah.

Yes, it would be intriguing but it wouldn't change anything for me personally either. He could be Catholic, Muslim, Hindu or Buddhist and it wouldn't matter; it shouldn't and wouldn't affect the validity of his work, which is not based on belief. Newton was a theist but that's not why I admire him.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Ditto.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    you're getting Shelby all riled up for a playground scrap.

Wha... huh? On, no... "Shelby" left this playground at that point, dear U (peace to you!). Headed for the showers to wash off all the "sand" that was being thrown around. Just warned dear Tec (peace to you, dear one!)... to close her eyes, lest she get some "sand" in 'em, too! That's all.

Otherwise, "school's" out for me, for now. The class just didn't make sense...

Peace, though!

SA, on her own... heading to the BIG kids play area...

• unshackled
    unshackled

Obviously a poor attempt at infusing some tongue-in-cheek humor...
    Thanks for your thoughts and comments everyone. Cheers.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Unshackled

Thanks for trying to keep things on track. Some good questions here.

• AGuest
    AGuest

I got your humor, dear U (again, peace to you!), truly! Unfortunately, I don't think you got mine. Ah, well...

Peace!

SA, who poked her head in to see if folks were playing "nicely"... backing out and closing door...

• tec
    tec

Hey Tammy...sounds like you had a great trip driving across the country. That's on my bucket list.

I did, thanks! Funny that I'm really tired now, but I guess I'm also back to work ;) The only think I would suggest is not having a destination in mind (or time limit), because there are some things I would have loved to check out, but we were on a timetable.

As for the above, not sure who that is directed at…but why would it matter if anyone actually stated that or not?

It was directed to anyone who seemed to be trying to emphasize that Hawking did not believe in God. I stated it because it seemed that I (and Shelby - peace also to you!) were being misunderstood in WHY we interpreted his words as we did. In other words, it seemed as if others thought we only interpreted those words as we did because we believed that Hawking was now becoming a believer (and that somehow that would support theism). So I wanted to clarify that I did not, in any way, think that Hawking was a believer just because his words state that he is not claiming there is no god.

Considering he was offering a public statement for non-belief, I found it lacking and brief.

Well, just reading what he said, it DOES seem as though someone asked him to give us his reasons for believing there is no god... to which he responded, I do not claim that there is no God. (even though he is an atheist... as has been stated before, and atheist does not have to claim there is no god, he just sees no proof of one, and so does not believe in one... right? But by his words in this quote, it seems he does not deny the possibility, no matter how remote he thinks it is. As Gladiator stated above.)

Speaking for myself, if Stephen Hawking came out and declared he found Jesus in his pasta sauce, it wouldn't at all affect my non-belief and non-worship of Yahweh, Allah or Oprah. Would I find it intriguing? For sure, and would want to hear what he had to say.

I didn't think it would change anyone's mind... believer or non-believer alike. Only that atheists who like to call on Hawking (and other scientists/scholars) as a fellow atheist would lose him in their corner, and it didn't seem as though they liked that idea.

Anyway, the only person who knows what Hawking meant for sure is Hawking himself. I just gave my thoughts on what it sounded like - according to just his quote, and the knowledge that he is an atheist.

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit