New Statesman: famous atheists explain why they don't believe in God...what is Hawking saying?

by unshackled 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AGuest
    AGuest

Now, I'm getting confuzzled. I truly don't get why some don't get what Dr. Hawking said. It's quite clear to me. I get it. Why do I get it... and those who supposedly "understand" HIM... don't get it?? Wait... Is it possible that, in "proving" one (or more) of his theories, Dr. Hawking came across "something"... that, were he to admit it... would raise questions some dare not ask... or take us "places" where some don't want to go? I mean, I'm just sayin'...

No, no... not asking for debate/argument/contention. Just putting it out there for personal... and quiet... contemplation...

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• tec
    tec

I think I got it... I don't think there is any other way to read it, really, at least not according to this specific quote.

Science can't predict human behavior. So something else is needed to do so... something that could include free will and God. Therefore he does not claim that there is no God.

Peace,

Tammy

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Nope I don't think speculating that he found god and is giving out subtle hints while happily lending his name to an article about atheist comment is correct.

Clearly you do not understand his words as much as you think you do.

When talking to the naked emperor there are only so many ways to say you have no clothes on and for the sake of social lubrication extraordinary levels of wordplay have to be employed because it's just not polite to say your clothing claim is actually insane.ditto god magic.

• tec
    tec

No one said that his quote means that he found God, or even that he claims God is real. Only that he has stated that one must use another means to predict human behavior (science cannot because there are too many equations)... and that this other means could include God and free will.

Perhaps he meant religion, or belief in God... who knows... but that is not what he said.

Peace,

Tammy

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Where I am most confused by his statement is where he says science is complete (?) and how human behaviour cannot be predicted.

This is odd since human behaviour is very predictable on a macro levels ( that's how they can model where to put fire escapes, door openings and fast food outlets ) but only degrades to more chaotic levels in the immediacy of the individual and now, and even then the seeming free will element is infrequently manifest ( quite often we are simple following well studied flight/ fight impulses or mimicking our peers or in auto pilot.)

Free will is much more an illusion that we are comfortable admitting. I had a very heated debate with my bishop who argued that he could decide right now what his future self would do in 20 years time and I said that he could not since 36 year old 'he' would have been replaced by 56 year old 'him' who would think differently (just as you and I would look upon our teenage selves and our former choices and hopes very differently now.) We may have limited choice when we so choose in the here and now ( and I emphasise may) but we are controlled by far greater forces than ourselves and those responses are far more predictable than we might think.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    science has no need to nor has it the tools to explain behaviour.

I don't agree . . . the study of human psychology is a huge scientific field in itself . . . and a great deal has been learned in recent years to explain various aspects of human behavior. What human psychology, as with all other science, is not in the business of . . . is prediction. While predictive models can be formulated based on behavioral studies . . . ie; why people behave the way they do. Predicting individual behavior based on those models is still elusive . . . and so not the preserve of behavioral science.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Nope I don't think speculating that he found god and is giving out subtle hints while happily lending his name to an article about atheist comment is correct.

You misunderstand me, dear Qcmbr (peace to you!). I didn't say he found God at all (how did you get THAT??). I said maybe he found "something" that would raise questions (for example, as to whether science IS in fact the ONLY "model")... or take us somewhere that suggested it wasn't (which might open a can of worms regarding some OTHER "model")...

True, he lent his name to an article about atheism... but perhaps his comments were just him being HONEST ("I'm not claiming there is no God") with those who asked him.

Again, I think the answer as to what he meant lies in the fact that some atheists DON'T get it. It SHOULD be clear. It's not, however, because it goes contrary to what YOU believe HE believes. And so, it "does not compute."

May I ask you: would it really rock your world if Dr. Hawking DID change sides? I mean, it's not like it hasn't been done before... and I gotta tell you... his show really didn't make sense... from a scientific POV. Really. It didn't. Rather than answering questions, it raised some. For me, at least. Okay, maybe he's starting to lose it (his mental capabilities, not his disbelief). But I didn't get that impression. I got that here was someone trying to sell something that even THEY didn't quite have 100% faith in. Hence... the holes.

Not trying to contend. Just asking, truly.

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Where I am most confused by his statement is where he says science is complete (?) and how human behaviour cannot be predicted.

But this makes TOTAL sense, dear Qcmbr (again, peace to you!). Science is the study of what can be measured empirically. And in some form or another all that is empirical CAN be measured. Down to the proton level, even. Human behavior, however, can only be SOMEWHAT measured... by those behaviors that are common to ALL humans. However, there are behaviors that are UNIQUE... and in order to be measured must utilize some OTHER model... than SCIENCE.

This is odd since human behaviour is very predictable on a macro levels ( that's how they can model where to put fire escapes, door openings and fast food outlets ) but only degrades to more chaotic levels in the immediacy of the individual and now,

Apparently, Dr. Hawking disagrees... and so do I. Because such things (escapes, door openings, etc.) are common to the western world... and not necessarily the eastern world. Or the U.S. and not, say, Greece. Or NYC, but not say, LA. Or those who live near 5th and Main... but not those who live near Broadway. Or those who live in the first house on the block... but not those who live in the fifth house. Or the one who sleeps in the front room... but not the one who sleeps in the back room.

and even then the seeming free will element is infrequently manifest ( quite often we are simple following well studied flight/ fight impulses or mimicking our peers or in auto pilot.)

Goodness, some of you really need to look past the western world...

Free will is much more an illusion that we are comfortable admitting. I had a very heated debate with my bishop who argued that he could decide right now what his future self would do in 20 years time and I said that he could not since 36 year old 'he' would have been replaced by 56 year old 'him' who would think differently (just as you and I would look upon our teenage selves and our former choices and hopes very differently now.)

I think your bishop misunderstands free will...

We may have limited choice when we so choose in the here and now ( and I emphasise may) but we are controlled by far greater forces than ourselves and those responses are far more predictable than we might think.

Perhaps. But apparently Dr. Hawking believes those responses can't always be predicted by science. May I give an example? In another thread, a dear one related how he tried to save the life of an accident victim. He told how he attempted mouth to mouth, ending up with some blood in his mouth... but to no avail. When another commended him for trying his response was that it was what any of us would do. That... is not true. And, unless someone is a trained responder... there is NO WAY to predict what any of us would do. There isn't even truly a way to predict what the trained responder would do. True, there are likelihoods. But just when you THINK you know "human behavior"... some humans proves that you don't.

Predicting individual behavior based on those models is still elusive

Not elusive, dear Sizmik (peace to you!). Impossible. You need an entirely DIFFERENT model... and PERHAPS one that includes goodwill... and God. Perhaps not. BUT... Dr. Hawking apparently isn't ruling out the POSSIBILITY.

C'mon, you guys - dear Tams (the GREATEST of love and peace to you, my dear one!) and I got it. C'mon "down" here with us... and maybe you can get it, too! Don't overthink it. Don't try to raise it "up." He wasn't speaking "high". He really was speaking quite elementary. Come on in - the 'water's' FINE!

Peace to you all!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest

Seriously, though, dear ones (peace!)... if ANYONE on the planet can show us that we're NOT just our physical bodies... Dr. Stephen Hawking would be it.

Again, peace to you all!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

While there are lamentably zero times in my life when I'm invited into the water by women I will decline having had my own god pool once where I splashed about quite merrily. This debate is one reason why many are puzzled by his words. In the world of the sophisticated magic believer lack of clarity, precision or exactness in statements will be spun rapidly into evidence for the magic position. Somewhere a Hari Krishna devotee is offering incense and banging a drum quite convinced that Hawkins has validated the eastern mysticism while a CoE granny is knitting a scarf with the words 'True Believer' while googling his home address.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit