Ex-jw Artist Is Doing an Exhibit on his Life as a jw

by jamiebowers 10 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

This guy sounds so cool! I wonder if he's ever posted here. I sent him an email to invite him to JWN.

http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/95809/

Artist Jess Black, known for his abstract expressionism and more recently his international PETA campaign, will release a new collection of work that explores the oppression he experienced as a Jehovah's Witness during his childhood. This collection is about his personal truth.

The collection will tackle issues taught within the religion that include the end of the world, sexual freedom, medical care and disfellowshipping. Black states that while the idea of the collection has already angered people, it is about his own personal truth, not about anyone else's. He explains,"I'm not suggesting that all of my experiences were bad. I am not placing judgment on how anyone is living their life. This is about my truth, my experience. But here they are judging me. I think that is telling. I refuse to edit my life anymore. I think I am a good person and I refuse to apologize because they think otherwise."

Black is coming off of a successful show in Beverly Hills, CA at the David W. Streets Gallery and is looking forward to painting this new collection. He explains,"Traditionally I have painted for myself but I try to be cognizant of what collectors like, what they want. This time every single painting will be just for me. I hope that honesty will come through and resonate with collectors." The entire collection will be rendered throughout the summer with a venue announcement this Fall.

Bold mine.

Before a single piece of art was created, Jess knew what this art collection would be called. He stated,"Whenever we would get new bibles we were asked if we wanted it leather bound in black or red?" The collection will be titled,"Leather Bound in Black or Red"

Black (JessBlackart.com) was raised in Des Moines, IA and was known as a prodigy for his mural work as a young teenager. At age 17 Jess moved to New York where he modeled and pursued a music career. He continued to paint for a growing list of private clients. After almost 10 years Black moved to California and has made art his passion and his career. In late 2010, Black was named an emerging artist and one to watch in 2011 by a juried panel of University professors.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"Leather Bound in Black or Red" is sort of an inside joke. It sounds awesome. Keep us up to date if you hear any more.

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, very cool!!!

t

• sizemik
    sizemik

Checked out his website . . . love some of his work! . . . and the titles make interesting reading.

Thanks for the post

• lisaBObeesa
  • Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Very cool! Can't wait to see his art.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Gah, I guess I'll chalk up modern art as something else I don't understand.

A couple pieces were interesting to me, but for the most part what it looked like was someone knocked a few paint cans over on a canvas and then put a pricetag on it.

Preemptive appologies to the art aficionados.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

This 'art' definitely looks like it is coming from a tormented soul. I agree with Paralipomenon accessment. But, good for Mr. Black for doing what he wants.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I like this one:

• Dagney
    Dagney

Very cool.

Love the picture on his advert.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit