On becoming atheist - the tug of war

by Nickolas 207 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Greetings,

Here's one comment to mess it all up, just finished the 12th planet by Zechariah Sitchin, that all the ancient evidence suggests that old civilizations thought that evolution and creation came from the same seed, it might be all crazy but to keep the status quo and all those Phd funds might mean they keep certain facts from the masses.

Certainly Nicholas disagree with me, but don't disregard the possibility that there may be alternative explanations no matter how unlikely in the atheists eyes!

Best Regards,

Star Tiger

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I think you're on the 4th planet, Star Tiger. The theory of evolution is a 19th century revelation spawned from the brilliant mind of a certain British naturalist named Charles Darwin. What was inferred before that was not based on science but on superstition, and therefore is irrelevant.

My, but I do enjoy Ozzie reds. I think I may uncork another.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Whats the tug of war? we all make our own decisions based on what we want to believe...EVERY ONE OF US. Should we go left? should we go right? does it matter except to the individual themselves? When we die, will anyone else care which way we went?

What is irrelevant to YOU is relevant to me. And vice versa. And sometimes...we meet somewhere in the middle.

Isn't life GREAT!!

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Life is great, indeed, still thinking. If you were here I'd pour you a glass of Grange, if only to make up for my earlier comments to you. The tug of war is only temporary. Eventually one side prevails.

• still thinking
    still thinking

cheers!

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Greetings,

Nicholas, surely science is in a constant state of flux, and although Charles Darwin had a brilliant mind, it doesn't mean he's entirely correct, or are you saying that everything science says is constantly correct throughout forever, just sayin,lol!

Best Regards,

Star Tiger

• bohm
    bohm

star tiger: i think you would do well by applying a fraction of the sceptisism you muster against evolution to Sitchins ideas.

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Greetings,

Bohm, I understand what your saying, I am a total sceptic but this is only the first part of my journey, maybe it's part of being an ex witness looking to any means to rationalize our true meaning in life, but all i"m trying to say is that maybe Darwin's theory of life in 200 years may or may not be proved true, but isn't there a possibility that any theory may have merit in it!

It's good, at least that we have a dialogue about, you would at least admit that, wouldn't you!

I personally believe in a panspermia, idea, that life came from asteriods,

Best Regards,

Star Tiger

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I grated for years against people claiming that evolution was a fact, Star tiger. It seemed an outrageous arrogance to me. But the more I studied the evidence for it and weighed it against the Biblical account the more I reluctantly came to understand why people who have made the effort to understand it come to the conclusion that it is what actually happened. Evolution through the process of natural selection over three or so billion years is how we got here. No, I can assure you that Darwin did not get it all right, but only beyond the basic premise. No other explanation comes even remotely close to adhering to the evidence as his.

• bohm
    bohm

star tiger: In the strict sence, Darwins theory as stated is wrong, for instance Darwin did not understand mutations. On the other hand many aspects of biological evolution are directly observed in the laboratory and thus cannot be shown wrong in 200 years any less than it can be shown wrong the earth is round.

I think where this leave us is that dividing scientific ideas into wrong and right is the wrong way to go about the problem.. one should look at evolution as a diverse set of ideas, tools and explanations, many of which date back from darwins days (all life being related & natural selection being obvious examples), and one can ask to which extend we should believe these ideas by looking at the evidence.

As for sitchins, well, my advice (which is what i usually do with these ideas) is to take the one piece of evidence which i find the most surprising and convincing, then taking 5 minutes with google to check if it is really so.

but we are getting offtopic!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit