Herbert W. Armstrong

by Band on the Run 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

His stylized face keeps staring at me from an ad, asking if I want more information. I know he ran a high control religion that had many defectors as the same time as many Witnesses defected. What was his game?

• ziddina
    ziddina

I thought he was a spiritualist...???

• still thinking
    still thinking

click and find out....lol

• talesin
    talesin

He's a Watchtower Society ripoff. Not much more to the man. Lots of scandal about his son, Garner Ted Armstrong who started his own 'religion' (remember the nightly broadcasts "Garner Ted Armstrong and the WORLD TOMORROW!!!), who was accused of rape and lots of other salacious deeds.

HWA's magazine was called, The Plain Truth, kind of a mix of the WTower and Asleep!

that's about it,,, not much substance different from the WT in this particular evangelistic group.

tal

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I did click! Evidently, the movement has splintered into warring groups. I don't know what his core teachings were from the video. A summary would be nice. They don't claim to be Christian teachings but the direct Armstrong teachings. There are claims that documents were altered.

• talesin
    talesin

BOTR, though I'm not a big Wiki fan, they have quite a good bit (and accurate) about HWA and GTA and the history of that particular 'church'. Check it out.

It's something I'm familiar with because my grandfather listened to his broadcast every night and read the mags (it was easier than being a JW and having to quit smoking).

t

• still thinking
    still thinking

Heres a bit I found about him...Nice guy

Herbert Armstrong was a poorly educated man and had no formal Bible education, however he began to see how easily religion could be used to bring in millions of dollars.

Over the years, Loma and Herbert saw that the winning formula for a successful business was in the marketing. Utilizing fear, guilt, uniqueness of the group psychology, they marched forward constructing an empire that would rake in more cash than Billy Graham and Oral Roberts combined.

The Armstrong's used deceptive recruiting tactics by giving away magazines for free, leaving the receiver feeling obligated to the group. In time, the recipients of these books and magazines were recruited into the Armstrong church or became co-workers, donating their money and time. Even when Herbert wasn't lying, he would use facts, emphasizing facts, quietly ignore facts, in a way that would enable him to gain control over peoples minds. This grooming is called "undue influence."

Armstrong would tell the members that Satan has corrupted their minds. He reduces the membership to such helplessness that they are incapable of making the simplest of decisions without asking their minister for guidance. Herbert demands absolute and blind obedience from his followers. And he gets it.

In time dissenters began to question the doctrines of the Armstrong's. Rather than honestly and intelligently debating their critics, the Armstrong's and many of the church hireling's resort to labeling them as evil or stupid, using name-calling, slander, condescending put-downs, personal slurs, accusations of bad motives, and casting aspersions on the critic's intelligence or sanity.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_W._Armstrong ... a pox on all these god-botherers.

• thetrueone
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I skimmed the article and will return. Wow. So much like Jehovah's Witnesses, no kidding. Not only doctrine but the mind control and centralization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit