Curiosity/ Create the universe Stephen Hawking

by jam 153 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch
    AGuest said;
    Finally, I cound a couple other things interesting in the shows just before and after this one. The first show was about the Greek physicist, mathmetician, astronomer, and philospher, Gallileo... and some of those who came before him, including Aristarchus and Copernicus. What I found interesting is that Copernicus, and later Galileo (who later renounced, to safe his own life)... promoted beliefs regarding our solar system that had been presented close to 2,000 years before. But... SCIENTISTS rejected the theories of all of these! Yes, religion played a role, but it was SCIENTISTS of their respective days that presented th greatest problems.

A few corrections if I may. Gallileo Galilei was Italian, not Greek. Copernicus and later Gallileo both postulated the heliocentric model of the the solar system where the sun is the center, a radically new theory based on astronomical observations, a new science at the time (this theory was later proven by Kepler and Newton) The new theory bucked the long held geocentric model that dated back 2000 years to Ptolemy. Aristarchus and his early idea of a heliocentric model didn't catch at the time, partially because it was too radical and didn't have the datum to back it up. Thus, the old flat earth as the centre idea lasted for quite some time. It wasn't until we made better eyes and math for ourselves did the truth reveal itself. Even then, it wasn't easy.

Gallileo's recanting of his ideas was due to pressure from the Catholic powers that saw it as a threat to doctrine and as heresy that questioned the realm of god, and so on. Reality was that this shift in understanding of our world and beyond presented too big a shift in established religious doctrine and ultimately, control. The point here being that it was science and the search for understanding that was ultimately correct and that religion was the force that tried to suppress it, not the other way around as is inferred by your statement. There is far more evidence of this in history than the the other way around.

Scientists present the greatest problems? To what? Acceptance of a god centered universe? Religion? Your ideas? Perhaps one should remember this when you drive your car, call your daughter, go to the hospital or take your meds. In fact, some scientists are such because of the wonder of it all and thus try to seek understanding. Some are agnostic in theory. In practise, it's a discipline and one that brought us out of the Dark Ages of religious repressionism. It ain't perfect, but it's told us more about the universe than any old holy book or subjective opinions.

• bohm
    bohm

james_wood: Black-hole radiation.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dear Bohm and Wobble... peace to you... and I have responded in the only way I can: with the truth. Take it or leave it, but that's all I have. It still doesn't negate the "holes" presented in the presentation. Given that those who SAW the dang show somewhat agree (to a greater or lesser degree), I am going to leave it there... and say, to you both, again... you might want to watch the show. I doubt that your perception will be different than mine... but who knows.

A few corrections if I may. Gallileo Galilei was Italian, not Greek.

You are absolutely right, dear Twitch (peace to you!)... and I was thinking of Aristarchus when I wrote "Greek". I was going to start with him and move forward to Galileo but then thought more would know of him that the the other. I just forgot to go back and remove "Greek."

Copernicus and later Gallileo both postulated the heliocentric model of the the solar system where the sun is the center, a radically new theory based on astronomical observations, a new science at the time (this theory was later proven by Kepler and Newton) The new theory bucked the long held geocentric model that dated back 2000 years to Ptolemy. Aristarchus and his early idea of a heliocentric model didn't catch at the time, partially because it was too radical and didn't have the datum to back it up. Thus, the old flat earth as the centre idea lasted for quite some time. It wasn't until we made better eyes and math for ourselves did the truth reveal itself. Even then, it wasn't easy.

Again, you are correct. My point, though... is that in spite of the fact that we didn't have the "eyes" or "math"... Aristarchus was right. The TRUTH was that the earth revolved around the sun. Regardless of whether "we" were able to prove that at a given time or not. The TRUTH did not change; OUR UNDERSTANDING changed. The thing, though, is that at the TIME he said it... what Aristarchus said was TRUE... WAS true! Even if it didn't catch on... for close to another 2,000 years. Even if no one else on the entire PLANET believed it/agreed. But... until OTHERS WERE READY TO ACCEPT THE TRUTH... the "facts"... according to those who claimed to know... were that the earth... was flat.

My point? Just beause an idea is radical doesn't mean it isn't TRUE. And just because the general consensus of those who [claim to] "know" is that it is NOT true... doesn't mean it isn't TRUE.

Gallileo's recanting of his ideas was due to pressure from the Catholic powers that saw it as a threat to doctrine and as heresy that questioned the realm of god, and so on.

Interesting. Things I've read indicate it was about more than that, that "heresy" was really just an excuse used by his enemies after he insulted one of them, a Jesuit, through one of his writings. Prior to, he actually had friends in the RCC, including the Pope... who later whimped out under pressure (from the Jesuits). And so, my understanding is that it wasn't actually the RCC... but an offended faction that USED the RCC to mete their revenge.

Reality was that this shift in understanding of our world and beyond presented too big a shift in established religious doctrine and ultimately, control. The point here being that it was science and the search for understanding that was ultimately correct and that religion was the force that tried to suppress it, not the other way around as is inferred by your statement. There is far more evidence of this in history than the the other way around.

Again, I don't get that religion, in general, had a problem, but certains one... due to nothing more than an insult (Galileo basically shot down another's argument, in a published writing... and not to prettily, either).

Scientists present the greatest problems? To what?

PresentED, dear one. At that time. It was the SCIENTISTS of their respective day who made things hard for Aristarchus, Copernicus, Galileo, et al. Apparently, such scientists couldn't handle differing or dissenting views from their own... and either shut the ideas themselves down... or those who came up with them. I mean, I didn't make that up: it's out there... and was even stated in the program. So...

Acceptance of a god centered universe? Religion? Your ideas?

Please... reread what I posted. Remember, the eyes can deceive you... and what you THINK I posted... I did not post. Not at all.

Perhaps one should remember this when you drive your car, call your daughter, go to the hospital or take your meds.

Sigh... I have great respect for science, dear Twitch. Please, if you're going to take me to task, at least bother to read ALL that I posted... AS I posted it. Please...

In fact, some scientists are such because of the wonder of it all and thus try to seek understanding.

Yes, I understand. And (gasp)... some are even religious...

Some are agnostic in theory.

And some are Jewish, "christian", Buddhist. In fact, a couple of astrophysicists weighed in on that on the post-program show...

In practise, it's a discipline and one that brought us out of the Dark Ages of religious repressionism.

I don't knock what it HAS accomplished... anymore than I can knock the hospitals, relief efforts, orphanages, or other "good" done by religion. I wasn't even speaking of those things. MY point was, in their attempts to SELL what they believe... they use the same tactics as religion: smoke, mirrors, high talk, fluff... and, if none of that works... the "Well, you really have to be more intelligent to get this part..." thing. That you and others can't see that... don't WANT to see that... is no different to ME... than JWs, et al. who can't... don't WANT to... see that THEY do this.

That's all I'm sayin'...

It ain't perfect, but it's told us more about the universe than any old holy book or subjective opinions.

I do not dispute that. On the other hand, religionists could say, of such holy books/opinions... "It's told us more about GOD than science." Do you SEE what I mean?

I just think that if science is going to ridicule religion (and I don't blame them for doing so)... they really shouldn't be using the same kinds of tactics to DO it. Smacks of hypocrisy. You got facts? You got proof? You can prove or disspell a theory/idea? By all means, go ahead. Do that. But... DO that. Don't use the same old "holely" tactics.

That's ALL I'm sayin'...

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA, who finds it interesting that no one's bothered to answer my QUESTIONS... still. Which I don't find too much different from when it's a spiritual/religous/Bible question. I mean, I'm just sayin'. So, please... feel free - take your pot shots at me. But the questions are still there...

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I think he became a sort of Carl Sagan-like media science personality quite some time ago.

Maybe that's what some of us "saw" last night, dear JW (peace to you!). Because it really was way more pomp and circumstance than proven facts. Although the narrator indicated, stated, insinuated, and even presented... THROUGHOUT... that certain things were "fact". Including the items I raised.

Which, I have to add... NO ONE has addressed... on any level, at all. But I understand that, truly. I mean, who has time? Those who want us to THINK they "might" know... are too busy running around planting red herrings. Lot of ground for them to cover... so no time to deal with the REAL issues, here. Ah, well...

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA, who, again, says folks really should watch have watched the show(s)...

• james_woods
    james_woods
    james_wood: Black-hole radiation.

Thank you. Are you aware that he has recently admitted that he was wrong about fundamental aspects of this?

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Which, I have to add... NO ONE has addressed... on any level, at all. But I understand that, truly. I mean, who has time? Those who want us to THINK they "might" know... are too busy running around planting red herrings. Lot of ground for them to cover... so no time to deal with the REAL issues, here. Ah, well...
    Again, peace to you!
    A slave of Christ,
    SA, who, again, says folks really should watch have watched the show(s)...

I didn't see the shows and didn't comment on them. I just observed an error in a fact you presented and presented my opinion on it, much as you have done. Nice slight dig though, lol. Was that one you, or Him? Carry on, by all means, lol

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't have Discovery Channel and hope to eventually pick this up from the internet or somewhere.

I was thinking of awarding a poster the "Greatest Logic" Award of the day. My nominee would be Bohm for:

This illustrate my point very nice: When you are confronted with a scientific statement, you are full of question to the effect of "could it be.." and happily make blanket statements comparing science to cults.

When you hear a voice and see something --an event all human experience indicate is only taking place inside your head-- and the voice deny to be tested objectively (exactly the reaction which one would expect were it only in your head!), you simply accept that with what seem to be no further questions.

I dont think your dishonest in your questions about science. But i think you should apply sceptisism more evenly and not stop questioning even if they may lead you to the conclusion it is not a given thing (or even likely conclusion) you are in telepathic communication with a god.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I think the point the show was trying to make is that until scientific thinking began to be accepted, every natural phenomena was attributed to the gods of the time and place the people were living in. It would be idiotic to think that a solar eclipse is caused by a 'wolf god' nowadays - people would scoff at that and rightly so. Why? Because science has explained what causes solar eclipses. Yes, the language was dumbed down, but consider the audience. I'm no dummy but when I read the real scientific language I get lost pretty quickly because I don't think with a math inclined brain. I do understand logic, however. And logically, if pretty much everything that was thought to be caused by gods or a god in ancient times has been proven to be nothing more than nature doing its thing, it stands to reason that what is attributed to god nowadays can also be explained by science.

The show was also making the point that thanks to religion we're actually a couple of thousand years behind where we could be in understanding things had science been allowed to run free and not been squelched by the heavy hand of death threats for heresy.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Yes, I did get that, dear Poopsie (the greatest of love and peace to you!)... as part of the "big" picture. However, and I think this is point that has greatly escaped some... my ISSUE is how they "sell" their theories: I often see no difference than how religion... and one in particular... sells ITS doctrines. Same words, terminologies, insinuations, etc. Just as you said:

I'm no dummy but when I read the real scientific language I get lost pretty quickly because I don't think with a math inclined brain.

It is that same mindset that propels religious doctrine: people believing that it's all "way over my head." That's how the MYTHS came about to begin with!! Someone with "better" thinking abilities realized that it didn't really take MUCH... and you can pretty much get people to believe almost anything. Even if it isn't the TRUTH.

Yet, it all really ISN'T over the average person's head. Indeed, God OR the origin of the universe is NOT rocket science - both are ELEMENTARY. And, if explained accurately and truthfully... even a child could grasp them

But the "experts" in BOTH fields have us BELIEVING that both are just too beyond our little itty bitty brains. BOTH do this... and as I result I personally don't see much difference, truly. But... I gave the benefit of the doubt and put MY questions out there, even to those here who "know." "C'mon, help me understand the "holes" I see in Dr. Hawkings' theories. Explain it to me, or at least tell me why what I presented is wrong." You know, sumthin'...

And what I got was ridicule. So, I don't think my questions... which are valid... will ever be anymore answered, at least not here (and I don't anticipate ever having the privilege of presenting them to Dr. Hawking)... than I had proposed ones of a religious nature to the religious here (or some noted theologian). I believe that, rather than dazzling me with brilliance... both would try to baffle me... with BS.

Had my fill of that, though...

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA, reaching for dear Poopsie's popcorn box...

• AGuest

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit