In Unusual Move, Brokerage To Handle Sale of Watchtower Buildings

by blondie 23 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categories/category.php?category_id=5&id=45181

3 Brooklyn Heights Properties Have Combined Estimated Value of $18.45M

By Linda Collins
    Brooklyn Daily Eagle

BROOKLYN HEIGHTS — In an unusual move for the Jehovah’s Witnesses (also known as the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society), Massey Knakal Realty Services will be handling the sale of three of the religious organization’s Brooklyn Heights buildings..............

• james_woods
    james_woods

What, does this mean that they used to try to handle the sale of buildings with their own legal department before?

Maybe they tried to do this again with these three, but couldn't find a buyer in this slow market...

• life is to short
    life is to short

Thanks blondie for the post

LITS

• blondie
    blondie

Did you read the rest of the article?

As the Eagle has reported in the past when the Watchtower offered up properties for sale, it is usually without asking prices.
    “We let the market determine the price,” Richard Devine, a spokesperson, has told this newspaper. There usually has been no brokerage assigned to handle the sales and marketing either.
  • discreetslave
    discreetslave

On Watchtowerdocuments.com Barbara states they used Cohi Towers Associates, an organization formed by a number of wealthy Jehovah’s Witnesses to purchase buildings for the Watchtower’s use in the early 1980's.

So it's not the first time they use others to handle their real estate.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Total cost of 18 1/2 million, they need to volunteer some of that money to the average JW. All the gas money, car maintenance, clothing, hotel costs for those retarded conventions, taking the speaker out to eat, missed income due to not having a degree, not to mention psychiatrist co-pays and the prescriptions they put you on as a result of this religion driving you crazy.

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

There was a mother in the south who didn't have the money to pay for her child's bloodless surgery since her state medicaid wouldn't cover it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/video/johovahs-witness-seeks-bloodless-surgery-11681184

Give them the money

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Did you read the rest of the article?

Sorry, I can't click on unknown links here at work.

• blondie
    blondie

I have thought about how it worked in the Bible with tithing. Jews gave 10% off the top to support the temple, priests, and Levites. The priests and Levites did not "work" at their positions 12 months a year but rotating blocks of time. But I don't remember any feature of temple funding that gave any back to the people who paid tithes.

But if people were poor and needed help, it came from the community not the temple funds, with things like gleaning in fields, where the owners were told not to strip the field but leave some for the poor. By Jesus time people would pledge their belongings to the temple, but keep the use of them until their death, using that as a reason not to take care of their elderly parents.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am glad they feel the need to sell their building. Even though they will make millions off of the "free" labor over the years to modernize the old places, they are doing this in a bad economy where their millions are millions less than they could have been 6 or 7 years ago or in years to come.

I am glad they see the need to give a percentage to a realty broker, even if it might be made up of rich JW's (I doubt it, but could be), so that the percentage does not go to WTS.

Regardless of how they keep the money flowing into the cult, this is really a one-time deal. In this century, their rural properties will never fetch the millions they will need next time to bail them out of a jam. So selling off is a sign of big trouble in the cashflow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit