Foreign language groups. OK to dress in a Saree Sisters?

by punkofnice 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

In the UK we have 'Urdu' groups which are usually english people learning Urdu and going to preach in mainly Muslim areas. (Most who speak english perfectly).

Some of the white/non asian sister dress in sarees.

Is this disrespectful?

Downright idiotic?

Desperate?

Patronising?

Happifying?

Or do those being preached at think it's good that they made an effort?

Personally, if I were in another country and someone dressed like a Brit (Beafeater Uniform?), to preach propaganda to me I'd laugh until the tears ran down my legs!!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Disrespectful? It could be taken that way.

Downright idiotic? Probably.

Desperate? No doubt.

Patronising? Absolutely.

Happifying? Only to the Borg drones, not to their victims in the territory.

Does the territory think it's good that they made an effort? It probably gives them a good laugh.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

@Mad Sweeney =

Happifying? Only to the Borg drones, not to their victims in the territory.

A true dat!!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Love the cokney edition - I'll take a butchers hook at that later!

• mummatron
    mummatron

Awright geeezzaa! I love da cockney edishun ov da magazine. What a great phot ov a pearly king. Sorted mate! 'Ave a banaaaana!

Whilst sarees are beautiful, I would imagine that having a non-Muslim woman turn up at your door wearing one to preach about a Christian religion would be a tad patronising and disrespectful, but even more so if it is worn without a head covering seeing as they are mostly worn ceremoniously (to Mosque, weddings etc) in British Muslim culture.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I was always embarrassed when I saw it. Would they dress in battle fatigues for field misery if they were propaganda spreading on an army base?

Sorry that was a kak illustration....but hey!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Meeting for failed circus:

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Why doesn't someone writer letters to Urdu associations asking what they think?

In Jewel in the Crown, the raped character in love with the Indian, Hari Kumar, took to wearing saris as a politcal statement and I think a sense of marriage to Kumar, whom she never saw after the trial.

This is fiction. The Beefeaters anaology is a riot. Imagine a Ben Franklin costume. or Geo. Washington in full Continetal Regalia.

Sadly, the other Founding Fathers are not so iconic.

I have many Jewish friends across the gamut. They would not appreciate me dressing in Hasidic garb. My Season's Greetings rather than Merry Crhsitmas cards are appreciated. In the 1950s in America, it was considered by white to be a tribute to Injuns to dress in native garb. The Good Earth had white people with simple eyeliner drawn at an angle. It is a hoot to see now. Now, you must have natives play natives. Captain Spock had a whole career playing Injuns before Star Trek. Times have changed.

A simple, polite question can solve the problem. I read some English translations of Urdu works in college. Imagine the reception I would get if I told them what they believed.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

@Mad Sweeney = FAILED CIRCUS!....and the picture too!! That ironic play on words made me laugh and will keep me tittering all day long!!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Crazy, for sure!

How embarrassing!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit