Foreign language groups. OK to dress in a Saree Sisters?

by punkofnice 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Ouch! Pantronising and how about imitating their (Hindu) spiritual tolerance rather than their mother's fashion sense.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Is this just a UK thing that the Dubs do?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, they really don't understand how other people think, so I'm sure that to the JW women wearing the sarees it makes perfect sense and is a sensitive thing to do

rather embarassing for anyone watching, though

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Even when I was 'in' I thought it was rather silly to wear the national dress of someone else.

Like wearing a loin cloth if doing 'failed circus' (thanks MS), to aboriginal folk!!

• hotspur
    hotspur

Many years ago - when about to attend my first ever International Assembly in London I didn't want to go (Boy, should have dug my heels in) but I was an obedient teenager. What stood out to me most was I was told I had the opportunity to see all the Bros and Sis in their National costumes and it will look lovely.... that was 40 years ago! Even then that shook me and I just said that I thought Nationlism was not accepted in JWdom! Never got an answer to that one and it took me another 32 years to get out.

• ambersun
    ambersun

I can remember that Assembly in London, hotspur! It was summer time and even in England the weather can be really hot and stiffling in those football stadiums.

Some of those brothers from other nations were wearing colourful long, loose fitting robes and kaftans instead of the uncomfortable dark suits and restricting shirts and ties our poor brothers had to wear. The thought went through my head as to why these visiting brothers were allowed to wear their 'national costumes' with pride when we were all supposed to be neutral and seperate from worldly things. It seemed unfair that our own brothers were not allowed to turn up to the sessions wearing something more suitable for a long day sitting in stiffling heat instead of their uncomfortable suits, shirts and ties.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit