The new DVD "Faith in Action" part 2

by slimboyfat 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I just watched the new DVD. I thought it was quite poor, even compared to the last one. Is this the last DVD in the series or is there another one to come?

It seems to just fizzle out toward the end. The last date they mention is the 1970s when the governing body replaced the president in having the most power. Is that what they deem the last significant event to have taken place in the organization? It makes it look as if the organization became totally bland and non-eventful ever since the end of the Second World War, with nothing much to report except "theocracy's increase" and brief mention of Africans and Japanese joining the organization. The only part when anyone is really animated during the video is when Jack Barr talks about how much he enjoyed the street campaigns, saying that was the best time he had. Which made you want to ask him: why don't they still do it then?

Although there was a picture of Fred Franz I don't think his name was mentioned at all. Even Covington got a brief mention but not Franz. The natural place to mention him would have been in connection with the NWT, but I suppose they are still maintainging the whole anonymity thing surrounding who translated it. Not to mention Franz at all seems a glaring omission.

One thing I found surprising was how prominently they featured the conflict with the Catholic church in the 1930s, even mentioning Rutherford's rhetoric about the Church plotting with fascists to rule over the whole earth. Usually Witness histories tend to dwell more on the "neutrality" stance and how this led to conflict with states. But this video seemed to acknowledge there was a deeply political dimension to Rutherford's critique of the churches and governments at the time.

Perhaps the most striking thing about the video is how America-centred it was. It is almost as if the organization has no history to speak of outside of North America. Even Witnesses in Nazi Germany hardly got a mention. And apart from the governing body it was the members of the American branch who were interviewed the most. Are they being given more prominence in the United States in recent years?

Altogether this video was really bland, superficial, and uninspiring. Even if I was still a JW believer I can't imagine I would not be disappointed with it.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

It was a poor effort to say the least.

The JWs love costume drama, so it was natural for them to have a Rutherford performance...who would want to dress up and pretend to be freddy? They want to pretend that the whole freddy era didn't happen.

I think they are actually trying to look like their history is important to the them but the reality is far different.

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks for posting SBF, even as an active JW I would not have bothered to watch such a thing ,I am old enough to remember the pathetic films they produced in the 1950's .

I always felt that it would not be a good idea to show this kind of thing to an " interested person" as they do illustrate how parochial is the outlook of the WT.

Funny, I always felt too that these kind of productions were talking about a world that I was not really part of, I guess deep down I never was a JW, I was just born in to the Borg, never fully assimillated, thankfully.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I couldn't watch it without being sick down my shirt.

No mention of Beth Sarim or Beth Shan?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The first DVD was 62 minutes long and the second DVD is only 43 minutes long. It's almost as if they gave up making it half way through.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I heard that the release announcement confirmed that this is indeed the last in the "series" of Borg history DVDs.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I heard that the release announcement confirmed that this is indeed the last in the "series" of Borg history DVDs.

Well they are pretty pathetic if you ask me. The last one just sort of fizzles out after mentioning the reorganization of the governing body in the 1970s. JWs actually do have an interesting history and some good stories to tell, but these DVDs are very weak. It makes you wonder why they bothered making them at all.

• TD
    TD
    with nothing much to report except "theocracy's increase"

..And Lett's comment dampened even that:

"...Jehovah's never been primarily interested in numbers. But he's interested in quality of His worshippers. Only eight survived the flood. --Shows Jehovah's thinking on numbers." (2 Peter 3:9?) --Said with a "Whatever" kind of shrug.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yeah that was interesting. It maybe explains why they have stopped including the annual report in the Watchtower and the monthly country reports in the Kingdom Ministry. Maybe they will stop printing the numbers altogether at some point. That would be a pretty big departure from the past when there was a fetish for figures on everything right down to the number of potatoes consumed at the conventions.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I haven't seen it yet. When I discussed it with my parents, I mentioned that if they wanted to take a look at the history of the org, it was easy enough to read Studies in the Scriptures or Children and get straight to the facts... that they've tried to gloss over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit