Can you think of anything that is postive about being A JW?

by jam 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Some positives, from being part of a group .....but nothing that could not have been obtained elsewhere without the cost of total dedication to their crackpot theology...

I also say that Magwich's excellent testimony was the exception rather than the rule

• imasheilatoo
    imasheilatoo

Nothing for myself. But they do take good care of my mother, who is 82 and disabled and lives 75 miles away from me, and I don't have a car. Last week she fell down and cut her head and broke her nose, and one of them was right there to take her to the emergency room and stay with her. When her air conditioning broke and it was 95 degrees in her house, one of them called me to let me know and to ask if I could talk her into letting them put an air conditioner in her house. Also, I'm sure there have been those lost people such as alcoholics who have straightened out their lives due to becoming a JW. However, none of those things above should be exclusive to being a JW, and for myself I would never live my life in their mental, social, spiritual and emotional chains.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

There are ones who are really concerned, loving, and caring individuals. Many of them I knew before they became jws and they were concerned, loving, and caring individuals.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

they give a sense of structure which a lot of people (almost all people) look for in life. the problem is they turn the organization into one big status clique, because they are more interested in their own interests which revolve around status, rather than service.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Probably the only rule that I actually liked was the ban on smoking. And that was because I never smoked before becoming a witless.

Even that, I thought busting up families and threatening with damnation was a bit harsh. Smoking does ruin your lungs, it causes every sort of major health problem without offering any benefit, it is enslaving, it is a waste of funds, you are sick that much more often, you age more quickly, and it dirties things up quickly (including ruining your computer hard drive). And it can start a nice little house fire. All of which is enough--anyone thinking of lighting up for the first time should ponder these costs carefully to make sure they really believe the actual benefit is going to outweigh the very high cost.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Ignorance is bliss!

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

I guess the no smoking part will do fine...

• nugget
    nugget

Met husband. Yes that's about it.

I'd mention some nice people but it turns out they were just friends for then and not friends for life.

• agent zero
    agent zero

i think there are definitely positives promoted by the group. non-violence, conscientious objection, no smoking, honesty, a sense of worldwide unity and trust, etc.. but as BluesBrother pointed out, those things could and should be obtainable WITHOUT total dedication to their rediculously askew theology and leadership.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I did become an excellent public speaker due to the training I received in the Theocratic Ministry School, and that training has helped me in many ways down through the years. What's interesting about that was I was never appointed an elder or ministerial servant so I never gave instruction talks, public talks, or talks at assemblies and conventions. On the other hand, I was light-years ahead of most of the Witness public speakers I knew. I even had TMS overseers come to me for counsel and advice! While I benefited from the TMS, it obviously did most Witness men little or no good.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit