Victoria, Australia: Steven Unthank's Press Release: JW's Hierarchy Formally Charged Today With Child Abuse

by AndersonsInfo 243 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat
    itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat

Can not find one independant news release substantiating this report outside of the JW or anti-JW sites posted????????

Can anyone supply one please?

• itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat
  • Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The problem is that they don't want anyone to officially know who is a child molester in their organization. There are several things that come into play when you start complying with these laws:

- The numbers get anonymized and aggregated into statistics

- The people the government screens might not be fit for their current position.

- Many currently in positions in congregations, circuits and even bethel would fail one if not both tests (and this is not a bash, just an observation). The screening is basically a psychological test together with a background test. It requires a spot-clean record, critical thinking capabilities and the offered training goes into the capacity to find patterns and mistakes, the assertion and abuse of power and all other abuses not only other people but also in a hierarchy or when a hierarchy or a group of offenders is trying to hide something. Off course this is focused on child molesters but when applied to religious doctrine this will make many reject their beliefs. Why do you think many that go to college reject their faith within 1-2 years? Because those skills are thought and applied in some of the very first classes when you enter any college or university especially in psychology and sciences.

- It would require immediate reporting of all offenses regardless of the '2-witness' rule past and present. This has protected MANY in the organization and there would be an outbreak of cases against the JW's like the ones they settled in the US for millions. They're already running short on cash (liquidity) and much of the money donated comes with ties as to the cause, none of the money with ties can be used for this.

- It would condemn those that have offended in the past and are found out to have no participation in congregational activities including worship (meetings, field service, conventions, ...)

- When R&F finds out their local leadership has been ousted because of this or there is a large exit of leadership all over the country, what do you think that would do to them?

- They're already running short on 'qualified brothers'. This might force them to either their standards on service and other 'biblical' requirements or force them to accept women in their leadership. This would require shockwaves globally since they have to keep up the appearances of being 'united' globally.

- They claim all Witnesses are ordained ministers (in order to get them to preach). This would require them to undo these claims (undo the baptism even?) and have 2 classes, the preaching ones and the non-preaching ones.

• Eiben Scrood
    Eiben Scrood

independEnt

• DT
    DT

I wonder if any of the Governing Body members who are believers are welcoming this as a sign of the end and an inevitable inconvenience before the end. Some might even welcome the idea of publicly suffering for their faith in prison and appearing as strong and faithful as Rutherford and his gang. If so, I expect that the experience of being a foreigner in an Australian prison, convicted of crimes against Australian children, could be a rude awakening. It wouldn't even be easy to spin this in a way that would make sense to committed JW's who know that the law doesn't conflict with any Biblical principles.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Did it get greenlit?

/I submitted this with a funnier headline

//I was hanging out with Drew at the fark party in my town last week

LOLOLOL, no greenlighting

Has anyone heard from the New York Times? See pg 1 of this thread.

This is a really weird story. Check this out: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=199379593431182&comments

WATCH TOWER SOCIETY LAUNCHES RELIGIOUS ATTACK ON STEVEN UNTHANK

A vicious personal attack and campaign of religious persecution has been launched by the Watch Tower Society in Australia against Mr. Steven Unthank in retaliation for his lodging of Criminal Charges against the Watch Tower Society and the Committee of Management for the Religion of Jehovah's Witnesses in the Latrobe Valley Magistrates' Court for alleged criminal offences committed against the Victorian Working with Children Act 2005, as it applies within "religious organisations".

A Watch Tower Society legal officer and senior Jehovah's Witness church Elder recently contacted a Gippsland-based construction company whom Mr. Unthank has worked for over many years, and ordered the owner, a Jehovah's Witness, that he

"must not employ Steven on any jobs and if he's still working for you then this is wrong. You have to get rid of him for what he's done."

It is alleged that the Watch Tower Society legal officer then proceeded to religiously vilify and severely ridicule Mr Unthank to the owner of the construction company.

In commenting on the launch of this attack and the alleged accompanied religious vilification and ridicule, Mr Unthank said

"We have very strong laws in the State of Victoria that prohibit racial and religious vilification. These laws are to protect everybody, including myself and members of the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses. It saddens me that there are people in society, in respectable community positions, that feel the need to religiously vilify and persecute another. I do not believe the church of Jehovah's Witnesses would support such an attack."

Mr. Unthank refused to comment on whether he has been sacked or had his work contract terminated but did reply

"there are a number of options open to me, including a civil lawsuit or the lodging of a formal complaint with the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission for investigation. However, a simple apology would suffice."

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I smell blood in the water.... a defamation of character, libel, slander, and intentional interference with a contract lawsuits brewing for Mr. Unthank against the Watch Tower if the WTS tries to mess with his business relationship. I don't know if Austrailia has these torts as independent actions, and Mr. Unthank needs to see an attorney in Austrailia to make sure his business isn't affected. There was an ex-Scientologist who 'won big' against Scientology for its inteference in his business relationships when he exited the church.

Skeeter

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

p.s. Perhaps Warren Jeffs and the Governing Body elders can be cell mates? Seems like government is attacking religion as the WTS predicts will be the end of times! But, does either WJ or WTS constitute religion...or are they both as loony as Jim Jones and David Koresh who also prophesized government would turn on religions. No, government just gets sick and tired of the whack jobs that hurt children.

p.s.s. You have to remember that this law is to protect children. Children are often considered by the State to be future citizens and worthy of protection. We have child labour laws, child abuse laws, schooling requirements, medical care requirements, etc. The job of the State is to ensure that the children are protected, and passing this simple, background check is a minor hurdle to help ensure that the future generation of children are not abused. It is applied across the board to many different entities, and is a minor step these entities have to follow. It does not thwart the entities' right to preach, right to gather, etc. To me, this law balances the State's need to protect children against predators against an entities' efficiency and effectivenesss. Abused children cost the social structure - both in mental health costs, prescription drug costs, higher rate of broken marraiges, suicides, etc. A background check requirement of those who come in contact with children is a minor hurdle.

• steve2
    steve2

Rebel8, I may have misread your post, but did the press release you cited appear in the New York Times?

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

It has always been a given that the Watchtower Corporation would bite back, and i am sure Unthank knew it too.

I think Vin Toole and his boys will try to destroy Steven Unthank while cowtowing to the WWC people by making all the right noises, accept a slap on the wrist for being naughty boys and slink away grinning like the psychopaths they are.

This has potential to big a big deal or a big fizzle, i want the former.

i sincerly hope that that some big heads and the australian legal team end up in prison. It all seems to good to be true...that the mighty WT gets its due from a David and Goliath situation.

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit