assemblies and my lovely wife

by stillin 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• stillin
    stillin

I finally put a couple of pieces together that have boggled me for years.

I would take my family to the conventions and assemblies and for some reason, my wife would always be upset or start an argument in the car on the way home, or in the week that follows. I realize now that her frustration is that I am NOT the guy in the demonstrations. You know, the guy who has the bestfriend/elder who always says the perfect thing and the guy is SO humble and does this little talks-to-himself thing where he reveals his DEEP spirituality and applies the ever-so-wise words of his friend and after that life is just great again!

Really, the assemblies only make my wife hate me more because I can't just ACT the parts. The guy in the demo has it made! I bet he even gets some once in a while!

It's not that I haven't tried at all to be humble or apply the suggestions or pray to Jehovah for help with stuff. It's just that I don't think that life is as simple as the demonstrations would lead you to believe. I might do better with my wife if I were an UNBELIEVING HUSBAND! The wives in those demos really lay it on thick for those guys!

no... probably not...my wife isn't so good at acting the parts either...

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I know how you feel. My ex-husband was always disappointed in me spiritually. Constant friction after every meeting, assembly, convention etc........

He now has a JW wife half his age that leads him around with a noose. He has to walk the plank 24/7 - she is an absolute religious nut.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I suspect that your wife is unhappy because she sees the disparity between the Watchtower Society's fairy tales and reality, but she sees it at a PRE-conscious or subconscious level.

And can't admit to herself that it's all a lie. She's still striving - vainly - for that 'carrot-on-a-stick' that the Watchtower Society dangles in front of its members' noses. She hasn't caught that carrot yet, but she can't understand why. Or she refuses to allow herself to see the REAL truth - reality - that it's all a gigantic shell game - a con game that she's been suckered into...

By the way, WELCOME to the board!!

Zid the She-Devil

• elderelite
    elderelite

Stillin, I feel your pain. But allow me to present the other side..

I AM the guy in the demo. I WAS the ideal (i say modestly) dubbie husband. I AM an elder. I DID everything a dubbie should do. It netted me NOTHING with her. EVER! Its not you.

Good marriages are not based on obediance to the cult, despite what the cult tries to tell you.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

You know, the guy who has the bestfriend/elder who always says the perfect thing and the guy is SO humble and does this little talks-to-himself thing where he reveals his DEEP spirituality and applies the ever-so-wise words of his friend and after that life is just great again!

LOL @ This. I wonder if any of the sisters ever had a crush on someone like this that went on stage. Maybe they had groupies.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I've always felt that conventions and assemblies are nothing more than meetings on steroids. Remember the demonstrations at the Service Meeting and how unrealistic they were? You know what I mean, some JW playing the role of the perfect householder who always accepts the literature and is completely open to a bible study on the following return visit. Complete nonsense for anybody who spends enough time in field service.

It's the exact same thing when it comes to the demonstrations, and dramas at the assemblies and conventions. As a JW who doesn't mind identifying himself as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I find these demos and dramas embarrasing when considering the possiblity that a nonJW may attend the convention and be exposed to gross stereotypes of themselves, not to mention the nonJW will recognize the blatant indoctrination being done to the JWs attending.

I'm six in one hand, and a half dozen in the other hand as far as my belief on whether or not the WT knows what its doing in pumping out these unrealistic demos and dramas. On one hand maybe they're trying to raise the bar and pressure the flock to reach out for unattainable goals. On the other hand, maybe they've been stuck in their controlled enviroment for so long up in Walkhill that they're incapable of understanding what goes on out here in the real world. Maybe they don't know that life is not a television sitcom.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe those interviews/experiences on stage are tarted up or even outright bullshit? In many (if not all) circuits and districts, not only is embellishment of facts and outright lying encouraged, it's even expected of people. Lying for the truth, eh? What's presented on stage, overall, is a fiction of epic proportions. Nobody's life in dubbie land is even half as perfect or idyllic as what they portray on stage, in the magazines/books, etc. I'm not sure if you have entirely realized the extent of it just yet and it's too bad that your wife can't see that at all. I'm not sure what you can do, really. My condolences, man...

V665V665

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

LMAO Vamp....

I think you hit it on the Head.....

Those "experiences" that we're so Inspirational to many.....

I thought.... you bought that...You Are Sad!!!!!!

• Sargeant Pepper
    Sargeant Pepper

I've been on the assembly platform giving an experience. I can confirm 1st hand that it's all crap

• elderelite
    elderelite

With respect to my drinking buddies, u r missing the point. Stillin seems to think his wife wants the "theocratic" fairy tale and thats why shes unhappy after assemblies and such. Im saying my wife HAS the theocratic fairy tale,including husband who had parts on those very programs, and still was a bitch ALL the time!

I repeat, to stillin more than any other, "good marriages are not based on the cult. Your wife still wouldnt b happy even with that life".....

Dont accept less from her.... Build your relationship as best u can, get counsling if she will go. The cult will never lead to happiness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit