Telling a Depressed Person It's Demons!

by NewChapter 40 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Yes that is the official position. I was fortunate that everyone in my congregation took the official position and elders always encouraged me to keep seeking treatment and to take the medicine. I did not have to personally deal with that. If I had . . .I very well may be dead today. Much of my depression centered around the idea that god rejected me---that I had committed the unforivable sin. If someone had told me my depression was caused by demons-in my weakened state--- I REALLY believe I would have jumped. I don't think I'm being melodramatic. I have seen and so have others.

I can only respect a persons belief as long as it doesn't hurt others.

Sizemik---it's a tragedy without end. It really makes me sad. And the bastards disfellowship the wife---do they want to wipe out the entire family? When I left it was because I didn't believe it was the truth anymore. I'm only learning now, and every day, just how destructive and dangerous this cult is.

NC

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

NC and Sizemik, I understand.

bad advice is always bad, and when it's from an "authority" like a parent or elder it can well be lethal. No excusing that. But the comment didn't seem to be intended as advice, but as exploration, IMHO. Still not appropriate on thread!

But there's lots of depression among jws (my relative who's in has chronic depression), and this newbie may have been exploring from a personal perspective and attracted to the thread because s/he has a problem also.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Well if s/he has a similar problem, I don't wish to hurt them either. I will send a pm. VISITOR you have a pm in about a minute.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Retro I have sent a pm to visitor. I hope that is reasonable.

Sizemik--you will have a pm in a few too.

NC

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

NewChapter,

just saw this! Of course it's reasonable! My take on it may or may not be correct. . .I just empathise a lot with lurkers and newbies

Peace to us all, Retro

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I know Retro. I feel strongly about this but of course I don't want to hurt anyone. Your take is valid and important. Thanks for pointing it out.

NC

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

((((NC))))

• nugget
    nugget

Telling anyone with a medical issue that it is demons is dumb and dangerous. My nephew is severly autistic he used to have a fit everytime anyone said a prayer. It was probably the sudden silence the solemn voice and everyone bowing their heads that freaked him out but my sister was told he must be demon possessed. This child needed medical strategies and my sister needed support, comfort and understanding instead she got judgement and guilt.

Depression and illness is not punishment from god or demon influence, otherwise medication wouldn't help. when someone is suffering it is time to reach out and offer help since who knows when the roles might be reversed.

• Heaven
    Heaven

NC, excellent post! I agree. It's not only dangerous and hurtful I find it insulting. You're expecting me to believe that some kind of invisible spirit being is f-ing with me? And that I've done something to deserve or warrant this? What a load of shiite!

We no longer live in a world where we speculate on what punishment from God is coming next. Science has discovered that there are real reasons we get ill. These reasons have nothing to do with invisible bogey men in the sky or 'ether'. These people need to get into the 21st century.

• sizemik
    sizemik

nugget . . . that's a perfect example . . .

That's a terrible thing for your sister and her son to be told . . . just awful . . . and dangerous. I do hope they are in a better place now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit