Telling a Depressed Person It's Demons!

by NewChapter 40 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

When a person is depressed, their cognitive abilities are depleted. They are processing reality through a very negative filter and need help getting balanced. They often experience fear, guilt, hopelessness and anxiety. Telling a person in this weakened condition that it's demons is NOT helpful. No it is DANGEROUS and HURTFUL. It SHOULD NOT be done. EVER.

We need to respond tenderly to sufferers and DO NOTHING to add to anxiety or guilt. I had a friend who was told it was just demons---she quit taking her meds and chose the prayer route. She ended up committed to an institution for a very long time. We almost lost her! I love her and have been her friend for over 30 years---and these whack jobs almost killed her.

I will not be silent when I hear this bullshit. Just thought everyone should know that.

NC

• Gayle
    Gayle

I agree!!! They need love, comfort, words of enouragement, their value, reminders of the positive things, all the reasons to live. They need their meds at least for a while,, or may be longer or maybe other meds. They often do need professional care, but none less, people to stand by them.

• youngbro
    youngbro

I do not know if I would say one's cognitive abilities are depleted, they are just dulled. *Smiles* Trust me, I know.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It's hard to put it into words. It also depends on degree. You seem to be quite dialed in---but there are others that could really be hurt by that type of thing. You do seem to be hanging in there, and I'm glad. You realize this will pass---as per your myriad comment---and that is excellent. It becomes so scary when you can't see the way out and feel like this will last forever. You can tell I take depression very seriously.

NC

• sizemik
    sizemik

When I was a JW my "best friend" by a country mile developed depression. I knew very little about it. He was on medication but made the mistake of telling too much to others. Worried by the constant proposition that anti-depressants were mind-altering drugs that risked demonic influence, he ceased taking them in favor of acupuncture. Two weeks later he put a 12 guage in his mouth. He was one of the most gentle, kind and wonderful men I've ever known . . . tears stream as I write.

On a more positive note . . . I developed severe depression about 8 years ago . . . the journey has been rough at times . . . but now I've all but put it behind me. Apart from the occasional bad day, I'm back to the old self . . . and med free . . . and happy. It doesn't have to last forever. The worst that can happen is to get bullshit advice . . . it killed my best friend.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Sizemik--I'm so sorry. So VERY sorry. Having almost lost my friend to this dangerous, death dealing, advice, I can just say sorry.

This is the reason I absolutely cannot let such poison go unchallenged. Someone reaches out for help and a loon says it's demons. God there should be a law.

NC

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

I don't disagree with the OP, NewChapter, but the poster was new and may well have grown up believing implicitly in demonic inluences.

Likely no harm was meant, although it shouldn't have been brought up on that thread.

Retro

• sizemik
    sizemik

It cuts me up NC . . . the main source of advice was an Elder and his wife who were into "alternative medicine" . . . homeopathy, acupuncture etc. After his death, his widow sought to question what went on prior . . . and was disfellowshipped for slander. He also left two teenage children who got totally messed up. Latest I heard . . . the widow has been re-instated, and has also attempted suicide, as has her daughter. The carnage just doesn't stop. You're right . . . the law should bring some people to account.

Bad advice is simply handing someone a loaded gun ... and the wrongness of it can't be emphasised enough. Mental health is a medical problem . . . not a religious one. Thanks for starting the thread.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Retro--my friend almost died. Sizemik's friend did die. Perhaps no harm was meant---but harm is done. This MUST be pointed out. It is very dangerous. We've had people start threads in which they said they were suicidal. People struggling with fear of demons and god. They reach out and someone says it's demons---then what? As a new poster, perhaps they could have used some discretion. Or maybe I'm overreacting. People die over these things.

NC

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

My wife is Bi-polar and medicated. An elder was removed many years ago for trying to "treat" her. At least JWs (officially) recognize depression now. for decades they called it "not trusting in Jah" because Joy is fruit of the spirit. Many still have that view thogh their "official" position has changed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit