“God’s organization” on “Satan’s organization”

by Marvin Shilmer 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

“God’s organization” on “Satan’s organization”

Today I uploaded a new article to my blog comparing Watchtower’s complaint of “Christendom” against its own actions against the benchmark of disfellowshipping for criticizing religious teaching. It’s telling!

My article is titled “God’s organization” on “Satan’s organization” and is available at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2011/07/gods-organization-on-satans.html

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• sabastious
    sabastious

You use a 1930 article for the first quote and a 1980 article for the second. I don't think the 1930's Watchtower should be compared to the 1980's Watchtower in the way you compared them.

I wonder if DF'ing for apostasy was common when that 1930's article was written? Wasn't it a more open ended community (less emphesis on "doctrinal unity")? I mean there's no way they DF'ed people for asking too many questions and then printed that article about "Christendom." I don't know.

As for the 80's there was a mass exodus of apostates which is why they started cracking down then and printed the article.

-Sab

• bob1999
    bob1999

"You use a 1930 article for the first quote and a 1980 article for the second. I don't think the 1930's Watchtower should be compared to the 1980's Watchtower in the way you compared them."

I don't see why not.

The WTS claimed then as it does today to be "God's mouthpiece"

There is only 50 years between those quotes.

There is more than 50 years between books of the bible yet believers find nothing but harmony.

Peace

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

sabastious writes:

“You use a 1930 article for the first quote and a 1980 article for the second. I don't think the 1930's Watchtower should be compared to the 1980's Watchtower in the way you compared them.”

In 1930 Watchtower was claiming itself to be God’s organization. Right?

In that case, in 1930 we had God’s organization complaining of the tactic of disfellowshipping as a means to suppress criticism from its membership. But, as it turns out, today Watchtower practices that very tactic!

Readers should ask themselves the question:

What has happened to the Watchtower organization that it now employs the same tactic plied by “Satan’s organization”?

How would you answer that question, sabastious?

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• trebor
    trebor

The viewpoint and hypocrisy has not changed. Not just 50 years, but 70 years later with gems such as:

The July 2009 Awake! magazine on page 29:

"No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his belief and his family."

What needs to be added to the above statement is "unless you are or were one of Jehovah's Witnesses"..lol.

Stating you cannot compare something the Watchtower stated from 1930 to more modern times is a similar notion that the Watchtower can bash other religions (I.E. Catholics) for things that were done or stated hundreds of years ago; but things their organization did was just 'old light' or 'God's direction at that time' for them.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    In 1930 Watchtower was claiming itself to be God’s organization. Right?

I think it's safe to say that, for all intents and purposes, the Watchtower has changed so much over the years that they cannot rightly be called a single historical entity. Even if the Watchtower claims it so.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    In that case, in 1930 we had God’s organization complaining of the tactic of disfellowshipping as a means to suppress criticism from its membership. But, as it turns out, today Watchtower practices that very tactic!

That's because the new Watchtowers had to deal with people figuring out their bullsh*t. Information control changed/become more difficult with TV and then the internet. The Watchtower of the 30's had no such enemies.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Stating you cannot compare something the Watchtower stated from 1930 to more modern times is a similar notion that the Watchtower can bash other religions (I.E. Catholics) for things that were done or stated hundreds of years ago; but things their organization did was just 'old light' or 'God's direction at that time' for them.

Don't get me wrong my statements are not in defense of the Watchtower. I just don't like the way the argument is presented for said reasons.

-Sab

• cantleave
    cantleave

When I was a JW I was always told that "that Jehovah doesn't change!". Does that not mean that his organisation should not change either?

This blog shows that In 50 short years the WTS has not only changed, but has become as "evil" as the organisation it claims to be representing the Devil.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

sabastious writes:

“Don't get me wrong my statements are not in defense of the Watchtower.”

I think folks are just trying to figure out just what rationale you have for holding the view you do. So far the only reason I see is that you don’t like the presentation because you don’t like the presentation. I don’t see any rationale beyond that.

If, as you say above, it is somehow inappropriate to used what Watchtower teaches as a benchmark for what it does then you must have no recognition of the term “hypocrisy,” which is commonly understood to refer to a person or entity that acts contrary to what it tells others is right or wrong.

I don’t get you. But thanks for giving the subject your attention.

Marvin Shilmer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit