Cougars, Reptiles and Bears. Oh My! Question for Hikers, Outdoor Enthusiasts and Hunters

by Robdar 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

WWIT:

Regarding the handgun and the bear, really your best chance would be to shoot your partner so you can outrun him. Remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, just someone else.

Good idea! ROFL!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I live in a country with plenty of snakes, and the general advice is:

Don't walk softly. Stomp or at least make sure your footsteps make sounds/vibrations as this will alert the snake to your presence. Snakes only attack if startled or cornered so if you make your presence known while you're walking it will get out of the way.

Don't pick up or step on a stick unless you are absolutely sure it is a stick.

If cornered by a snake, s-l-o-w-l-y back away, don't run.

Take only photos, leave only footprints.

And have a great time!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You will at least get to see lots of pretty scenery before you "get et." Be sure to soak in the local culture and eat some good southern food before venturing onto the trails, Robyn. Chances are you will be fine and never see a snake or bear. Or a cougar. Bring you some pepper spray, but do not spray it against the wind. Always make sure you spray it in the direction the wind is traveling.

• Robdar
    Robdar

BP, I've read about the snakes in your country. OMG, I could just die thinking about them and the spiders. Since I have read so much about your country and understand it's dangerous wild life, believe me, I will be following your advice. Thanks, sis.

• Robdar
    Robdar

FHN:

You will at least get to see lots of pretty scenery before you "get et."

OMG, I am LMAO!

Be sure to soak in the local culture and eat some good southern food before venturing onto the trails, Robyn.

Oh, you betcha! I'm going to be sucking down some grits come Wednesday. Even some bisquits and gravy would be good-- as long as it's made with turkey sausage.

Chances are you will be fine and never see a snake or bear. Or a cougar. Bring you some pepper spray, but do not spray it against the wind. Always make sure you spray it in the direction the wind is traveling.

Very good advice. Didin't Jim Croce have a song that had lyrics that went something like, "You don't tug on superman's cape; you don't spray into the wind; you don't pull the mask off the old lone ranger; and you don't mess around with bears." LOL

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Yes, I think he did sing about not spraying into the wind. Lol.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

The same applies when you're scattering the ashes of a loved one....

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Hey, BP.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You probably will see spiders and some other bugs and flying things. I'd take some good repellent and maybe a safari hat with netting. Tuck your pants legs into your socks.

I got bit by a deerfly in South Louisiana in April. I had to come home and be treated by the doctor for a bad reaction.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Oooo, I like this one:

Mosquito & Insect Hat Net by Dorfman Pacific

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit